Re: [borderpoint] Abhazia - a serious state??

  • Roger McCutcheon
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 31, 2008
      OK David, I don't mind at all. That variation on a familiar cliché has
      been in my mind for far too long for me to remember whether I originated
      it. I looked up 'Flattery will get you nowhere' in The Methuen Dictionary
      of Clichés which says 'although this idea is very old, the expression
      dates from the mid-twentieth century and originated in the United States.
      Aristophanes (c.388 BC), Cato (c.175 BC) and Cicero (c.45 BC) are but
      three of the ancients who warned against flattery. My own favourite
      variation on a familiar cliché is Dorothy Parker's 'You can lead a whore
      to culture, but you can't make her think'. Roger. (aka Alfred Benson)
    • L. A. Nadybal
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2008
        At least when he lied, nobody go killed.
        LN

        http://bp3.blogger.com/_LsVqhM8uaVQ/SJRzI3Pi5bI/AAAAAAAAAwQ/nzN3GmuHTHg/s1600-h/bill%26monica.JPG

        > LN

      • L. A. Nadybal
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2008
          South Ossetia issued its first set of 3 in 1993 - they sell for $5 at
          dealers - not too hard to find - they are small, miulticolored wiht
          the "country's"" eschutcheon and normal low values for regular letters.

          Abhazia - its a little more evil - it contracted with a western agent
          to put out this junk, to raise money to buy weapons. Those stamps are
          as official as anything, from what I've heard, becaase the people
          behind the contract with the agent were "government officials" in the
          breakaway region.

          LN

          --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Lam" <richardlam11@...>
          wrote:

          > On a more serious note. I do not think Abkhazia had ever issued this
          and many other stamps ascribed to Abkhazia that one can find on the
          internet. (Can't really imagine Abkhazia or S.O. issuing stamps
          picturing any US presidents). Nonetheless, I will be interested to
          hear if anyone can prove otherwise.

          > Richard

        • Richard Lam
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 2, 2008
            Len,

            Do you have any scans of the South Ossetian stamps used on cover? (I don't mean FDCs)

            Richard

            wrote:

            > On a more serious note. I do not think Abkhazia had ever issued this
            and many other stamps ascribed to Abkhazia that one can find on the
            internet. (Can't really imagine Abkhazia or S.O. issuing stamps
            picturing any US presidents). Nonetheless, I will be interested to
            hear if anyone can prove otherwise.

            > Richard

          • Maxim Kozlov
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 2, 2008
              Hi Len,

              You may have overlooked some Clinton's military operations, like war in Yugoslavia in 1999, to name one. So if you compare him and Saakashvili, I am not sure the latter has more blood on his hands.

              Best regards,
              Maxim

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 2, 2008
                What exactly did Clinton lie about re: military operations? The lie I
                was referring to was only the one about Ms. you-know-who.
                LN

                Here's from today's Washington Post - they said what I think better
                than I could:

                This is a moment for clarity in thinking about Russia, which is
                forcibly occupying sizable chunks of a neighboring country and
                claiming it has every right to do so. Some in the West are tempted to
                agree. After all, the United States and its allies invaded Iraq and
                attacked Serbia; why can't Russia do the same to Georgia? Why can't it
                have a NAFTA of its own?

                Here's why. The United States, Britain and other nations deposed the
                Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein because he repeatedly violated his
                promises to the United Nations, after his earlier invasion of Kuwait,
                to rid himself of weapons of mass destruction and prove that he had
                done so. They invaded Serbia to protect the people of Kosovo from mass
                ethnic cleansing and destruction. In both cases, reasonable people can
                argue that it was wrong to act without U.N. authorization; they can
                make a case that the campaigns were unwise on many other grounds.
                What they can't argue is that the allies were motivated by a desire
                for conquest or occupation; as the presidential campaign has shown,
                the American people can hardly wait to pull their troops out and leave
                Iraqis to manage their own affairs. NAFTA, meanwhile, was freely
                entered into by three democratically elected governments. If Canada
                wants out, the United States will not seize Ottawa.

                Russia, on the other hand, is seeking to overthrow a democratically
                elected government precisely because that government does not want to
                be subjugated to Moscow. Mr. Medvedev's claim of a Georgian genocide,
                after his own government published casualty figures of 200 or so, is
                deliberately preposterous; he is mocking the very idea of humanitarian
                intervention. As Russia under president-turned-prime-minister Vladimir
                Putin has become less and less democratic, it has become increasingly
                aggressive toward neighboring democracies. The more democratic those
                neighbors become -- see Ukraine, Poland, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia --
                the more hostile Russia becomes.

                The brave Mr. Yevloyev, who returned to his hometown in the province
                of Ingushetia despite ample warning that Mr. Putin's thugs were
                waiting for him, may seem like a footnote to all this. But his death
                -- like the deaths of Anna Politkovskaya and so many other journalists
                and liberal politicians before him, like the death of the free press
                and open debate -- is at the heart of the story. Mr. Putin is turning
                Russia into something very like a fascist state, and its natural
                inclination will be to replicate itself abroad. "The Cold War was
                clearly about ideologies," Russia's ambassador to the European Union,
                Vladimir Chizhov, noted yesterday, and then claimed: "We are living in
                a different world today. There is no ground for talk about a second
                Cold War."

                Judging by the E.U.'s feckless response yesterday to Russia's
                aggression, many European leaders still want to believe Mr. Chizhov.
                But what is happening in Georgia is very much about ideology, and the
                longer the Europeans pretend otherwise, the greater the damage they
                will have to contain.

                --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Maxim Kozlov" <Maximkov@...> wrote:

                > Hi Len,
                >
                > You may have overlooked some Clinton's military operations, like war
                in Yugoslavia in 1999, to name one. So if you compare him and
                Saakashvili, I am not sure the latter has more blood on his hands.

                > Best regards,
                > Maxim

              • L. A. Nadybal
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 2, 2008
                  I wish you had asked before last weekend's Baltimore stamp show - I
                  could have taken pictures of some I didn't buy.
                  I'll see what I can round up.