Re: [borderpoint] Re: out of subject

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16 5:14 AM

      In 1995, I saw a white Citroën DS with Irish registration trying to get through Mexican customs at Ojinaga, Chihuahua, which is a very small and remote border crossing from Presidio, Texas, USA.

      Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:25 AM
      Subject: Re : [borderpoint] Re: out of subject

      These out-of-subject topics seem to be equally interesting for quite a few of us ;-)

      My most interesting experiences with international number plates were:
      - when I was travelling through California and the southwest of the US with a German license plate for a few weeks, I heard some quite some funny comments. The best one was "You have a strange number plate... are you from Canada?!?" You have to know that the number plate was starting with TÖL-.. ..., letters unknown in the languages spoken in North America. Other people came to me directly and told me they knew where I came from which was a surprise as well. That county in Germany had an important US army base by the time.
      - I recently spotted a saloon car with a Spanish number plate. Quite a long trip!
      - In Cairo, there are thousands of old cars where Egyptian number plates are simply put on top of old European ones.