VS: Border markers on inner German border

  • Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2006

      Browsing through the links at BoundaryPoint I found Forum Grenzenlos at http://www.grenzen-los.de.

      I found these 2 nice photos of an Eastern German border marker and a nice line on the ground:

      http://www.grenzen-los.de/deutsch/galerie/F/F-001.html

      http://www.grenzen-los.de/deutsch/galerie/B/B-007.html

      It’s obvious that the West Germans were not concerned with demarcation as they did not really recognize the division.

      Having in mind that the demarcation is inspired by Soviet style, and therefore having a marking on own land, I find it quite far from the actual line. And since W did not really like this border, isn’t the entire line painted in the East?

      Jesper

    • Peter Smaardijk
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2006
        --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase"
        <jesper@n...> wrote:

        > Browsing through the links at BoundaryPoint I found Forum
        Grenzenlos at
        > http://www.grenzen-los.de <http://www.grenzen-los.de/> .
        >

        > I found these 2 nice photos of an Eastern German border marker and
        a nice
        > line on the ground:
        >

        > http://www.grenzen-los.de/deutsch/galerie/F/F-001.html
        >
        > http://www.grenzen-los.de/deutsch/galerie/B/B-007.html
        >

        > It's obvious that the West Germans were not concerned with
        demarcation as
        > they did not really recognize the division.
        >

        > Having in mind that the demarcation is inspired by Soviet style, and
        > therefore having a marking on own land, I find it quite far from
        the actual
        > line. And since W did not really like this border, isn't the entire
        line
        > painted in the East?

        Maybe, but not necessarily. The west did recognise the border, just
        not the eastern definition of it as an international border. They saw
        it as a border between occupation zones, and it (or most of it) was
        also a border between old countries or provinces, and thus an
        internal German border. The line could equally as well have been
        drawn by western officials, for practical reasons: you were not
        advised to cross it without permission, to put it mildly. In either
        direction.