Equator

  • kubana2005
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2008
      I recently paid a visit to 2 equator monuments in East Africa. When I
      turned my GPS on (using WGS84 datum) and positioned it on real equator
      it didn't show 0 lattitude. It showed that I am about 12 meters south
      of equator.
      Does anybody has any ideas about this?

      Regards, Alex
    • Hugh Wallis
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2008
        Even the position of the equator varies slightly depending on the datum you use. Whatever authority was telling you that you were on the "real" equator (whatever that means) has possibly used a different datum from WGS84 when establishing its location. If you were relying on monuments they could easily have been placed slightly off for simply practical reasons (terrain etc.) on the basis that the average tourist wouldn't know or care anyway.

        You should also be aware that 12m is (just) within the region of accuracy for commercially available GPSr units and small perturbations are not unusual. When geocaching I find that the reported location of a particular spot on the surface of the earth can vary by up to about that distance from day to day depending on tree cover (leaves, no leaves depending on season), atmospheric conditions (cloudy, sunny), sunspot activity etc all of which serve to perturb the signal slightly (making the hunt slightly more challenging). This is one reason why WAAS (a ground based, fixed base station, perturbation correction system) was added to the GPS systems in North America and there is, I believe, a similar system either in place or planned for Europe. Neither of these would have been effective in Afrrica, of course.

        Cheers

        Hugh

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2008
          Hi Hugh,
          The proof that, it's the actuall equator is that there were locals
          presenting water turning proces or whatever you call it. At the
          actual equator water was not moving in any directing while droping
          off.
          By the term actual equator I mean the real prime lattitude or the
          longest possible lattitude where sun drops directly in particular
          days.

          Regards, Alex

          --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Wallis" <hughwallis@...>
          wrote:

          > Even the position of the equator varies slightly depending on the
          datum you
          > use. Whatever authority was telling you that you were on the "real"
          equator
          > (whatever that means) has possibly used a different datum from
          WGS84 when
          > establishing its location. If you were relying on monuments they
          could
          > easily have been placed slightly off for simply practical reasons
          (terrain
          > etc.) on the basis that the average tourist wouldn't know or care
          anyway.

          > You should also be aware that 12m is (just) within the region of
          accuracy
          > for commercially available GPSr units and small perturbations are
          not
          > unusual. When geocaching I find that the reported location of a
          particular
          > spot on the surface of the earth can vary by up to about that
          distance from
          > day to day depending on tree cover (leaves, no leaves depending on
          season),
          > atmospheric conditions (cloudy, sunny), sunspot activity etc all of
          which
          > serve to perturb the signal slightly (making the hunt slightly more
          > challenging). This is one reason why WAAS (a ground based, fixed
          base
          > station, perturbation correction system) was added to the GPS
          systems in
          > North America and there is, I believe, a similar system either in
          place or
          > planned for Europe. Neither of these would have been effective in
          Afrrica,
          > of course.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Hugh
          >
          > _____

        • Hugh Wallis
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2008
            Hi there

            There is a wealth of material available to demonstrate that the water trick is just that - a trick. If they charged you money to see the trick, it was a scam.

            See

             (all obtained  via a google search on "equator water spin") for just a small selection of these.

            To determine the exact position of the equator to within 12 m accuracy using the second method you describe would require equipment with a far greater degree of precision than I would think was available on site. I think the definition on Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equator ) is likely more correct, but again would also require highly sophisticated equipment to determine with any degree of accuracy.

            wrote:

            > Even the
            position of the equator varies slightly depending on the
            datum you

            use. Whatever authority was telling you that you were on the "real"
            equator
            > (whatever that means) has possibly used a different datum
            from
            WGS84 when
            > establishing its location. If you were relying on
            monuments they
            could
            > easily have been placed slightly off for simply
            practical reasons
            (terrain
            > etc.) on the basis that the average
            tourist wouldn't know or care
            anyway.

            > You should also be
            aware that 12m is (just) within the region of
            accuracy
            > for
            commercially available GPSr units and small perturbations are
            not

            unusual. When geocaching I find that the reported location of a
            particular
            > spot on the surface of the earth can vary by up to about
            that
            distance from
            > day to day depending on tree cover (leaves, no
            leaves depending on
            season),
            > atmospheric conditions (cloudy, sunny),
            sunspot activity etc all of
            which
            > serve to perturb the signal
            slightly (making the hunt slightly more
            > challenging) . This is one
            reason why WAAS (a ground based, fixed
            base
            > station, perturbation
            correction system) was added to the GPS
            systems in
            > North America and
            there is, I believe, a similar system either in
            place or
            > planned for
            Europe. Neither of these would have been effective in
            Afrrica,
            > of
            course.

            href="mailto:borderpoint%40yahoogroups.com">borderpoint@ yahoogroups. com