Re: Recent controversy

  • Jan S. Krogh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2008
      I am very sorry if the recent discussions have caused enmity between
      the participants in this group. My opinion is that is very good that
      we show emotions and tell other our true opinion.

      For those who don't know me so well I would like to write a few lines
      about myself. Between 1987 and 1991 I spent one year of my life as a
      soldier in the warzone on the border between Israel and Lebanon. I
      have traveled much in most parts of Israel - from Metullah and Rosh
      Hanikra in north to Eilat in south; I have also visited the Golan
      Heights, West Bank and Gaza. I love the music of Shlomo Artzi. I have
      had the pleasure to meet many Israelis and Palestines, also visited
      them in their homes and at work. My impression is that most ordinary
      people in Israel are not so interested in politics - they simply want
      to live in peace. Israel is facing so many other problems due to
      immigration, lack of housing and economically that the Palestinian
      issue is simply not the most important.
      Since I am living in a city which 100 years ago was an important
      Jewish cultural stronghold, its history is important to me. Half of
      the Norwegian Jews were litvaks from the shtels in and around
      Lithuania. As a genealogist have tried to help some of the Norwegian
      Jews to trace their family history.

      A lot of people collect stamps and coins. I do it too. Many simply
      collect the quantity. Some only one country. Others a special
      subject, like ships, flowers or - enclaves. Some collectors are
      interested in the history behind how certain stamp was produced.

      My main interest with borders is to learn how the borders influence
      the life of the people on the different bordersides as well as why
      the borders run exactly as they do. Therefore I feel it is nescessary
      to learn the history behind. I also believe the small detours in life
      are very important and that it may be dangerous to burn to strong for
      a case. Nations are nations, but human beings are more important.
      None of them chose on which side of the border they should be born.

      Jan