Madha enclave (OMN/ARE)

  • Joachim Duester
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2008
      When looking up Hadf on
      http://www.maplandia.com/oman/al-batnah/shinas/hadf/ , I moved up
      northeast on the map to Khawr Fakkan to see the Madha enclave. Quite
      shocking: the border lines shown there by Google are far removed from
      the border reality. The whole town of Madha is actually shown as being
      --outside-- the Omani enclave, including the airport (the airstrip can
      bee seen nicely when you zoom in, and it ends just at the border!). Of
      course all Madha town should be inside the enclave!

      Joachim
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22, 2008
        > When looking up Hadf on
        > http://www.maplandia.com/oman/al-batnah/shinas/hadf/ , I moved up
        > northeast on the map to Khawr Fakkan to see the Madha enclave. Quite
        > shocking: the border lines shown there by Google are far removed from
        > the border reality. The whole town of Madha is actually shown as
        > being --outside-- the Omani enclave, including the airport (the
        > airstrip can bee seen nicely when you zoom in, and it ends just at
        > the border!). Of course all Madha town should be inside the enclave!

        The only thing that Google should be relied upon in terms of border seeking
        is a good laugh. The nature of such a thing can't really be relied upon for
        100% accuracy (but it does a pretty good job for rough accuracy, especially
        if you aren't zoomed in tight). Best sources if you really want to find out
        exactly where a border is is what we all know: government topo maps and of
        course good old fashioned border hunting in the field.