Maps of the emirates of UAE.

  • Christian Berghänel
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2008
      Speaking of UAE, the different emirates and joint areas. Here are three maps
      from 1865 until 1993 that I came across a couple of years ago. It clearly
      shows that territories have change hands over the years. (If the information
      is correct and the cartographers have understood the siuation.)

      ---------
      Christian Berghänel
    • L. A. Nadybal
      Message 2 of 4 , May 21, 2008
        Christian,

        Thanks for the graphics - but nobody can see them if you don't put
        them into the filers or photos libraries - or they go to another
        website that mirrors this. Can you put them in the library? I'd love
        to see them.

        Tnx
        Len

        --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, Christian Berghänel
        <christian.berghanel@...> wrote:

        > Speaking of UAE, the different emirates and joint areas. Here are
        three maps
        > from 1865 until 1993 that I came across a couple of years ago. It
        clearly
        > shows that territories have change hands over the years. (If the
        information
        > is correct and the cartographers have understood the siuation.)
        >
        > ---------
        > Christian Berghänel

      • Joachim Duester
        Message 3 of 4 , May 21, 2008
          To the "uninitiated", these maps rather obscure the
          picture and mislead the reader, especially if he has
          no knowledge of the historical developments and the
          concept of rule and sovereignty in a tribal society,
          where allegiance is not territorial but personal, and
          ownership rights concern arable land, grazing ground,
          strategic points and water wells rather than the
          mountains and sand deserts which make most of the
          area.

          To show border lines when such lines were rarely drawn
          until the 1950s is not helpful. And why, for example,
          should a 1820-1865 map show Hatta as belonging to
          Dubai and Masfut belonging to Ajman? Or indicate a
          border problem near Masfut between Muscat and Ajman
          when this dispute started in 1947 only (which does not
          exclude of course that there were other disputes,
          albeit not between Muscat and Ajman, over this area
          previously). I spare you a full list of faults and
          inconsistencies which I could continue ad nauseam. But
          the gist is: for this area, to which the concept of
          territorial rule is a relatively new concept coming
          with the search for oil, maps need to be prepared more
          thoughtfully.

          It would perhaps help if the maps would show the
          situation at a particular moment, not over a period
          such as 1820-1865, and if the cartographer would just
          reflect the situation which is known and leave areas
          blank for which no information is available or where
          his cartographic tools are irrelevant - instead of
          drawing fictitious borders and filling empty spaces
          with colours.

          I know that this is not a satisfactory perspective for
          border freaks like us, but still better than
          misleading people and giving rise to fruitless
          discussion ;-)

          Joachim

          --- Christian Berghänel wrote:

          > Speaking of UAE, the different emirates and joint
          > areas. Here are three maps
          > from 1865 until 1993 that I came across a couple of
          > years ago. It clearly
          > shows that territories have change hands over the
          > years. (If the information
          > is correct and the cartographers have understood the
          > siuation.)
          >
          > Christian Berghänel

        • Christian Berghänel
          Message 4 of 4 , May 22, 2008
            Len & others,

            For you who cannot se attached files in the mail..
            I put the three maps in a new folder called 'UAE' in the files section at the group homepage.
            Helpful or not, correct or not - here they are.

            -----
            Christian Berghänel