One China policy (future of Taiwan)

  • kubana2005
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12 1:47 PM
      What is your view on one China policy?

      The Republic of China (Taiwan) still officialy (but not activly)
      claims PRC and parts of Bhutan, Pakistan, India, Russia and N.Korea !

      There are talks that Taiwan will join UN (under tha name of Republic
      of Taiwan), but I am not sure how is that going to happen because of
      pressure from PRC.

      Cheers, Alex
    • Kevin Meynell
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12 1:56 PM
        >What is your view on one China policy?

        Wishing to offend anyone, clearly the PRC and ROC are de-facto
        different countries and it's a bit silly to pretend otherwise. In
        fact, even Hong Kong (and no doubt Macau as well) is for all
        practical purposes a different country to the PRC.

        Whether China and Taiwan can come to some accommodation is up to
        them, but until then it's little different to pretending that the FRD
        and GDR were the same state.

        Cheers,

        Kevin
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12 3:20 PM
          I (personally) have a two-China policy. I (personally) recognize the ROC as
          sovereign over all of the islands that it holds, which have never been ruled
          by the communists in Beijing. What it calls itself (whether ROC, ROT, etc.)
          is its business.

          > The Republic of China (Taiwan) still officialy (but not activly)
          > claims PRC and parts of Bhutan, Pakistan, India, Russia and N.Korea !
          >
          > There are talks that Taiwan will join UN (under tha name of Republic
          > of Taiwan), but I am not sure how is that going to happen because of
          > pressure from PRC.
          >
          > Cheers, Alex

        • Jan S. Krogh
          Message 4 of 6 , May 12 10:09 PM
            Me too, and I think most people in the world has a two-China policy.
            Taiwan has de facto embassies in many European countries, but except the
            one in the Vatican all are called "Economic and Cultural Offices". The
            fact that these governments does not dare to recognize Taiwan shows how
            much they are in the pockets of Beijing.
            http://www.gio.gov.tw/taiwan-website/5-gp/eu/appendix1.htm

            Jan

            Lowell G. McManus skrev:

            > I (personally) have a two-China policy. I (personally) recognize the
            > ROC as
            > sovereign over all of the islands that it holds, which have never been
            > ruled
            > by the communists in Beijing. What it calls itself (whether ROC, ROT,
            > etc.)
            > is its business.
            >
            > Lowell G. McManus
            > Eagle Pass, Texas, USA

          • Kevin Meynell
            Message 5 of 6 , May 13 8:42 AM
              >I (personally) have a two-China policy.

              I actually have a four-China policy ;-)

              Cheers,

              Kevin Meynell
            • ray
              Message 6 of 6 , May 14 12:51 AM
                I think Taiwan is a US unincorporated territory. This is a somewhat
                rare and controversial view. If anyone has any questions on this
                like 'what' and 'why' and how', e-mail me, they are too long to
                explain here....but on Wikipeia a brief statement on this view is
                mentioned on 'legal status of TAIWAN'; also there's a gent called
                Richard Hartzell, if memory serves, who is very knowledgeable in these
                matters and shares similar views to me.--- In