Re: [borderpoint] Canadian Caymans?

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30, 2008
      Kevin,

      Thank you for such a complete and perfect answer!

      So, there is abundant precedent for royal assent to republican governments
      and of royal assent to the abolition of the need for further royal assent.

      I knew that Governors General and provincial Lieutenant Governors, as
      representatives of the Crown, are typically locals; but I did not realize
      that they are empowered to give the monarch's assent on their own
      initiative.

      Therefore, my answer to my student was correct, in that the highly
      hypothetical admission of a former Canadian province to the USA could have
      been accomplished constitutionally without any revolutionary overtones
      against the prerogatives of the Crown.