Re: Re : [borderpoint] Mountain peeks border

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2008
      > According to the articles on Wikipedia.org, Mt. Everest is in a similar
      position where the border seems to be at exactly the highest peak (Nepal &
      China [Tibet]). The articles describe it as the highest mountain in both
      countries (and of course the world!).

      The peak of Everest actually isn't a point, from what I've heard, the highest
      point on the mountain is about the size of a dining room table. I'm guessing,
      therefore, that the border runs through the middle of this small flat area

      > Anybody aware of places where there is a high moutain where the border is
      "in favour" of one country? Maybe even a tripoint? I can only think of a 2
      country border such as Kenya / Tanzania where Mt. Kilimandjaro is clearly on
      the Tanzanian territory.

      Mt. Kilimanjaro is indeed in Tanzania, but imho this means about the same as
      saying that Mt. Whitney is entirely in the US, ie nothing. I don't believe
      the border was drawn to specifically give all of Kilimanjaro to (what would
      become) Tanzania, but it just happened to lie that way.