Re: Re: [borderpoint] RE: Thai/Lao border traffic / milestones - road LHS / RHS interfaces

  • Artur Kroc
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 9 10:39 AM

      http://alweb.homeip.net/photo_viewer.php?id=3034&lang=pl

      cheers

      Artur
      Doug Murray napisał(a):

      In Canada, most stop signs say STOP in English only.

      There are some exceptions:

      In the province of New Brunswick, most signs are bilingual.

      In Quebec most are in French and say ARRET.

      In other places with a high concentration of French/bi-lingual
      residents, you'll see both.

      On government land (National Parks, National Defense property and many,
      if not all, border crossings) you'll see bi-lingual signs.

      I found a picture taken along Canusa Ave., the border road on CAUS
      (QC-VT) at Beebe/Beebe Plain. If you look hard you can see the warning
      of a stop sign in the distance... and it says ARRET.

      http://farm1.static.flickr.com/40/76495767_5e05f54d05_o.jpg

      Cheers!

      Doug

      David Kendall wrote:

      > I haven't been to France either, but I do live in Canada, a bilingual
      > country. The predominately English areas (most of the places I've been in
      > Canada) use the red octagon with "STOP", but the house where I grew up in
      > Winnipeg was just a few blocks from the neighbourhood of St. Boniface,
      > the
      > largest Francophone community in Western Canada. They have the octagon
      > with "STOP" on top and "ARRET" on the bottom. I've been to Ottawa and
      > Gatineau, Que., but I don't remember the signs there. I've seen
      > pictures of
      > a stop sign in Iqaluit, Nunavut, that has "STOP" in English below some
      > Inuktuit syllabics presumably meaning "stop".
      >
      > ---
      > On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 13:58:27 -0600, Lowell G. McManus wrote
      > > I haven't been to France, but that is my understanding. I'm sure our
      > European members can elaborate.
      > >
      > > Lowell G. McManus
      > > Eagle Pass, Texas, USA

      D o u g M u r r a y
      sounds+images+words

      N o r t h A m e r i c a
      Vancouver 1.604.728.1407
      Seattle 1.206.333.0220

      Read my blog [since 2003] http://www.roadspill.blogspot.com

      Wojna wampirow trwa - po ktorej jestes stronie?
      Zagraj >>> http://link.interia.pl/f1cf4
    • Jan S. Krogh
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 9 11:59 AM