Enclave or devided airport? Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg

  • Christian Berghänel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 6:41 AM
      Friends,

      Long time since I wrote on the list. I've been around and reading most of the interesting topics though.

      I think the Basel Airport have been an issue on the list before. At least I think I've heard something about the borders close to it, and that there are different exits for arrivals to Switzerland and France and/or Germany.
      Looking at Google Earth (I know the borders aren't always properly shown there) the Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg is completely in France, however an enclave is shown at a small part of the building and a few metres outside.
      Look at position ca 47*35'58,5" N / 7*31'57,04" E at an Eye alt of 3 km or less.

      Anything more about this?
    • L. A. Nadybal
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 7:09 AM
        The airport and terminal are completely in France - there is a French
        customs-free zone that extends from the Swiss border along an access
        road, to the terminal, and then inside of portions of the terminal.

        If you drive from Basel to the airport, you cross the border without a
        customs point, up the road (that you can't get off of, and that has
        French bridges crossing it) to the parking lot, can park your car in
        the zone, and go into the portion of the terminal that is part of the
        zone. If you fly back in to Basel airport, you have to get into the
        correct customs line in order to get to the part of the parking lot
        where you left your car, in order to get back on the access road to go
        back to Basel without going through customs/immigration at the border.
        You can always choose to enter France through French controls in the
        airport terminal, drive off the airport, and go the long way around
        into Basel, but you have to cross the genuine FR-CH border later on,
        in order to get into Basel.

        It is a reverse situation for the French who want to fly out of Geneva
        without entering Switzerland's customs zone. Much of the French
        territory around Geneva is a French customs Free Zone. French
        immigration posts are at the border, but the French customs posts are
        at times, kilometers away from border near Geneva.

        LN

        --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, Christian Berghänel
        <christian.berghanel@...> wrote:

        > Friends,
        >
        > Long time since I wrote on the list. I've been around and reading
        most of the interesting topics though.

        > I think the Basel Airport have been an issue on the list before. At
        least I think I've heard something about the borders close to it, and
        that there are different exits for arrivals to Switzerland and France
        and/or Germany.
        > Looking at Google Earth (I know the borders aren't always properly
        shown there) the Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg is completely in France,
        however an enclave is shown at a small part of the building and a few
        metres outside.
        > Look at position ca 47*35'58,5" N / 7*31'57,04" E at an Eye alt of 3
        km or less.

        > Anything more about this?

      • Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1 2:42 PM

          This French topographic map site http://sig.ville.gouv.fr/symfony/detail/onglet/cartographie/codezone/42 shows no evidence of any such enclave.

          Jesper

          --

          Borderbase - your online guide to international borders and tripoints

          http://www.nicolette.dk/borderbase