Re: [borderpoint] shortest inernationa brdige

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 8 10:01 AM
      On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:33:19 -0600, Lowell G. McManus wrote
      > It says something about the tourist nature of this French/Dutch "bridge"
      that the signs are all in English.

      English is actually spoken quite prevalently on both sides of the island
      from what I understand. In fact, a line from the unofficial anthem of the
      island (both St. Martin and Sint Maarten use the song) says that they
      speak "French and Dutch, but speaking English much" - and, if you didn't
      notice, the song itself is in English.

      This might have to do with the fact that the island is heavily tourist-
      oriented (as English is heavily spoken on other similar islands).
    • Kevin Meynell
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 8 11:55 AM
        >This might have to do with the fact that the island is heavily tourist-
        >oriented (as English is heavily spoken on other similar islands).

        Actual Dutch speakers appeared to be a rarity on the Dutch side of
        St. Martin when I was there. You could hear French more, but it was
        nowhere near as common as on St. Barts.

        There seemed to be a lot of immigrants from other Caribbean
        countries, particularly the Dominican Republic, working on St. Martin
        so that might explain the apparent lack of usage.

        Cheers,

        Kevin Meynell
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 8 12:09 PM

          Dutch speakers are a rarity. Even the supermarkets, etc, are in English. When I was in St Martin , I asked a lot of the local people about language. Most of the French population speaks French, many even at home. However, on the Dutch side, many of the people said they don't speak Dutch very well...they have to study it in school, but aren't too conversant in it. While many speak Papiamento Creole, a lot of the people I talked with on the Dutch side said they speak English at home with their kids, and English is their ‘mother tongue’. I'm not generalizing, but the people I talked to were very much of this mindset. Most of the signs are in English on the Dutch side (even in non-tourist areas), with some Dutch thrown in here and there in official capacities (e.g. post offices and banks), and predominantly in French on the French side. Very interesting indeed

          Dr Dallen J. Timothy

          Professor

          Department of Geography

          690 SWKT

          Brigham Young University

          Provo, Utah 84602

          USA

          Tel:  (801) 422 5374

          Fax: (801) 422 0266

          >This might have to do with the fact that the island is heavily tourist-
          >oriented (as English is heavily spoken on other similar islands).

          Actual Dutch speakers appeared to be a rarity on the Dutch side of
          St. Martin when I was there. You could hear French more, but it was
          nowhere near as common as on St. Barts.

          There seemed to be a lot of immigrants from other Caribbean
          countries, particularly the Dominican Republic, working on St. Martin
          so that might explain the apparent lack of usage.

          Cheers,

          Kevin Meynell

        • fabiov
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 8 10:59 PM
            Hello,
            at last I remember: we spoke  already about a bridge on a tiny island in Alexandria Bay and somebody posted this nice view:

            Bye Fabio V.
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 9 12:27 PM

              Hi Fabio,

              The Google image on that website (www.cifr.it/forum94.html) and the information are interesting but incorrect in two ways. First, that photo is not the area of the so-called ‘smallest international bridge’ in the 1000 Islands region, and second, the border as depicted by Google is completely wrong (as usual). The tip of the peninsula is not cut by the border. I’ve attached a topographic map of the same place. The reference markers on the topo (e.g. 68, 69, 70) are not true border markers—they’re reference markers located on the shoreline nearest to the actually boundary in the water. I’ve attached a photo of an example of a reference border marker on the bank of the St Clair River, the middle of which forms part of the US-Canada border.

              The write-up on the Italian website is a typical false ‘tourist narrative’. The border, as we’ve discussed in the past few days, is not through the small bridge, and the guy when he’s mad at his wife doesn’t go to the United States by crossing his bridge. This is a myth and falsehood perpetuated to excite tourists on day cruises. Fabio, maybe you can contact the person who created that website and let him/her know that the information is false. There is a lot of other good info there, though.

              Dallen

              fabiov skrev:

              Hello,

              did we already speak about the shortest international bridge between USA and Canada ? (see the two flags)

              See attach.

              Bye fabiov

              Messaggio e-mail controllato da Spyware Doctor (5.5.0.178)
              Versione database: 5.09170
              http://www.pctools. com/Spyware- Doctor/

              size=4 width="90%" align=center>

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 9 1:08 PM
                Hello Dallen,
                it is a pleasure to read notice as yours. Thank you very much!
                I appreciate very much all the topics we spoke about in this group.
                It is easy to inform the owner of that Italian webiste because I am!
                I got information in a philatelic Forum or I post curiosity in that Forum where I am a moderator, and sometimes, curious or peculiar information that arise in borderpint group are reported there.
                I will wrote  a note to inform of the "tourist oax" which is of interest of "not specialized people" anyway.
                Thanks again and best regards
                 Fabio V.