Southernmost point of the Asian Continent

  • Hugh Wallis
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
      In the light of the recent discussion on what constitutes a "continent" I thought I would mention this posting to my blog. On Saturday I visited what claims to be the "Southermost Point of the Continent of Asia" - you can read all about it and see some photos and a short video in my blog at

      No doubt one could dispute this place's claim to fame on numerous grounds but nevertheless I thought it interesting enough to share

      Cheers

      Hugh

    • fabiov
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
        Great!
        I never heard before of that island. Surely it is  peculiar place, although we must debate if a Continet can "finish" in an island.
        I would like to know if there is a post office there. It could be interesting to have a postcard with cancellation from that island.
        have you seen a post office there?
        Bye Fabiov

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hugh,

          Welcome to Singapore.

          Fabio,
          The island's official website is here: http://www.sentosa.com.sg/
          Although there are lots of postcards depicting Sentosa, the island itself no longer has a post office. The nearest post office is on the main island at Harbour Front Centre. I should add that my office is just opposite this beautiful island.

          Sentosa's claim to being the southernmost point of an continent is disputed by Tanjung Piai in Johore state, Malaysia. See this link: http://malaysiaupclose.wordpress.com/category/places-tanjung-piai/

          Best Regards
          Richard

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
            Thanks Richard - wish I could have spent more time there.

            I can't get that URL to work - are you sure about it? http://malaysiaupcl ose.wordpress. com/ doesn't work either.

            Cheers

            Hugh (in KL now)

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
              Hello Richard,
              fantastic! So I suppose you may send a postcard of Sentosa island to me, (with a cancellation of your post office). I can send to you a postcard of my town in Italy (Milan), or some other postcards I visited recently: as some islands in Sardinia (Italy), or Mauritius island. Please let me know.
              Just to not bore other people of the group, write me privately at:
              Best regards
              Fabio V.
              BTW I am an active stamp collector, but at the moment I need only postcards of ENCLAVE of the world (new or used with a neat cancellation, -enclave of a different Country, not of an internal  province-) and also of EXTREME and far islands of the world. So probably some of the guys of this very active and interesting group can send me a postcard during their trips to an enclave or to "a not easy to reach" island. Of course I will send you postcards of the kind you like better or I can pay yours.
              I apologize for this Out Of Topic, although we are always speaking of geography!

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
                That link opens for me: it takes me to "The Path Less Ordinary".
              • Hugh Wallis
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
                  Interesting - I wonder if it is blocked from within Malaysia (which is where I am right now) or something like that. Maybe I will try again when I get back home.

                  That link opens for me: it takes me to "The Path Less Ordinary".