[borderpoint] Re: http://www.mosttraveledpeople.com

  • Joachim Duester
    Message 1 of 113 , Sep 7, 2007
      Like David, I am puzzled by their - I am speaking about
      http://www.mosttraveledpeople.com - extremely artbitrary way of
      listing subdivisions of a country as separate territories. Why do they
      list the seven emirates which, since Feb 1972, form the state of the
      United Arab Emirates, as separate territories (you can easily visit
      all the seven of them in one day, but I was never crazy enough to do
      more than 6 in one day), but not the Swiss cantons, the German
      Bundeslaender, or the kingdoms in Uganda? And why do they list the
      Wilayat of Musandam in Oman as a separate sub-entity, but not any of
      the other wilayats? Or is it because it is an enclave (but why is it
      then that other enclaves, whether beloging to Oman or located elswhere
      in the world, are not listed?).

      As has been said before: everyone can set up his or her own rules, but
      one wishes they would somehow be consistent and logical.

      Joachim

      --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "David Kendall" <david@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 14:34:21 +0200, fabiov wrote
      >
      > > http://www.mosttraveledpeople.com/
      > >
      > > There you may find also the agreed RULES to consider a Territory
      visited
      > or not.
      >

      > A very interesting site. Sort of puts my personal goal of visiting
      all 10
      > provinces (and possibly all 3 territories) of Canada in perspective!
      (To my
      > credit, I've visited 6 of 10, just missing all east of Quebec, and
      have yet
      > to log a territory)
      >
      > I was wondering how they came up with a list of 650+, looks like each
      > subnational area is 1 (can't see the map at work), which is a relief
      to me
      > who has been to exactly 2 countries so far.
      >
      > There is one of their criterion of "visitation" which might not sit
      well
      > with most of us, and that is for those areas with controlled border
      > crossings, one would have to cross at a controlled checkpoint,
      whereas a lot
      > of us like to find a border marker and do a "border dance" so that
      we could
      > claim to have set foot in both (or, in case of tripoints, all three)
      > countries involved, even though, as mosttraveledpeople.com points
      out, this
      > is techincally illegal (The recent post of Jesper I believe it was
      points
      > out this "illegal entry" that most of us do.)
      >
      > Perhaps we should make our own list of "what counts as an entry" and
      put it
      > in our FAQ (if we have one, and if we don't, we should get one!) While
      > counting how many countries one has been to isn't the primary focus
      of our
      > list, it is tangentially related to border-geekery.

    • Daryl Brown
      Message 113 of 113 , Sep 28, 2007
        I think that it is important how the rest of the world sees an area.  When it comes to the British Isles, I think most people see Britain has part of Europe becuase of both history and customs.

        Daryl