RE: [Bulk] SV: [borderpoint] Re: does it count that i've been there

  • Michael D. Adams
    Message 1 of 113 , Sep 7 8:52 AM

      Jan wrote:

      I also agree with Hugh and Kubana. Soil is soil no matter if it is at the border or in the centre of the capital.  I would not count a visit to Belarus before 1991 as a visit to the independent country of Belarus. But if it would be to any of the Baltic countries before 1991 it would be otherwise, as they were occupied by the Soviet Union.  But it becomes a bit tricky if we use the same principle with the West Bank and Gaza which are occupied territories, but never were independent...

      I'd disagree.  At least for my purposes of counting where I've been, I'd use a "discrete and distinct" guideline.

      For example, I just got back from a cruise that took me to Sint Maarten/St. Martin.   The Dutch side is currently part of the Netherlands Antilles, but is slated to become a distinct entity next year.  At the moment, I count having been to the Netherlands Antilles, but I'll transfer that "count" to Sint Maarten when it separates, because it is a distinct enough entity to make the distinction.

      However, I'd make a different case for counting Broomfield County, Colorado.  Broomfield was formed from bits and pieces of four other counties, to permit the town of Broomfield to exist within one single county.   Because Broomfield wasn't a distinct place (neither as a county nor as an exclave of any one county), I wouldn't count a visit to Broomfield County until after I had set foot in the county after its creation, even though I may have visited the town of Broomfield previously.

      Also, if you use the "piece of soil" guideline, you run into strangeness where border changes come into play.  If you visited a strip of land that was subsequently transferred from jurisdiction A to jurisdiction B, with both jurisdictions as continuing entities, I'd say that you'd count A but not B.

      --

      Michael D. Adams  -- Windsor, Connecticut -- mda@...

    • Daryl Brown
      Message 113 of 113 , Sep 28 8:20 AM
        I think that it is important how the rest of the world sees an area.  When it comes to the British Isles, I think most people see Britain has part of Europe becuase of both history and customs.

        Daryl