RE: [borderpoint]spain and portugal

  • Bill Burke
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007

      I came across this email from Roger  dated August 2006

      I consulted my Michelin Road Atlas for Spain and Portugal, which is to a
      larger scale (1/400,000) than the map shown, and it does not reveal any of
      those exclaves: moreover the international border follows the line of the
      Rio Guadiana for about 55 km. after joining it south-west of Badajoz.
      I cannot provide any information about border realignments which may have
      taken place since 1927. Roger McCutcheon, Alicante, Spain.

      This refers to Olivenza, which has can be seen from the article below from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. was taken from Portugul. There is a society called the friends of Olivenza, which stated the case for the terrotory to be reurned to Portugal. On this website the area is outlined. I will try to post details of this website.

      The War of the Oranges (pt: Guerra das Laranjas; sp: Guerra de las Naranjas) was a brief conflict in 1801 in which France and Spain fought against Portugal.

      In 1800, Napoleon Bonaparte and his ally, Spanish minister Manuel de Godoy, ultimatively demanded that Portugal, British ally since the Anglo-Portuguese Treaty of 1373, to enter into an alliance with France in the war against Britain and to cede to France the major part of its national territory. Portugal refused, and in April of 1801 French troops arrived in Portugal. On May 20 they were bolstered by Spanish troops under the command of Manuel de Godoy. In a battle that was disastrous for Portugal, Godoy took the town of Olivenza, near the Spanish frontier. Following his victory, Godoy picked oranges at nearby Elvas and sent them to the Queen of Spain with the message that he would proceed to Lisbon. Thus, the conflict became known as the War of the Oranges.

      In June 1801, after Olivenza, Portugal negotiated a treaty with France and Spain called the Peace of Badajoz. Portugal agreed to close its ports to British ships, pay France an indemnity of 15 million livres tournoises, accept the Guiana borders as far as the mouth of the River Arawani, in favor of France, and cede Oliven├ža on a 'perpetual' basis to Spain. The peace treaty stipulated that the breach of any of its articles would lead to its cancellation.

      After the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, in which the French lost to Britain, the government of Portugal restored relations with its old ally. This led to the Peninsular War, in which France declared the Peace of Badajoz treaty cancelled, again marching on Portugal from 1807

    • Bill Burke
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007

         This web site  shows the disputed area