Re: [borderpoint] Re: A second rail line through DDR - Film - To Peter

  • Ernst Stavro Blofeld
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 15, 2007
      I would very much like to watch it, please.

      Do you need space on a high speed server? I can arrange
      that, if you like. Or I could stream it from whereever
      you choose to put it.

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 16, 2007
        I have a server - let me test and make sure it works for what I want
        to do. I have other items ya'll might like to see, too (i.e. Kosovo,
        Athos, Melilla, etc.).
        LN

        --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, Ernst Stavro Blofeld
        <blofeld_es@...> wrote:

        > I would very much like to watch it, please.
        >
        > Do you need space on a high speed server? I can arrange
        > that, if you like. Or I could stream it from whereever
        > you choose to put it.
        >
        > Thanks,

        To Peter

      • MLeube@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 19, 2007
          On the line Bebra - Obersuhl there were no inspection of the DDR border troups at all. The trains just past through East German territory without stopping. This was no problem, since the railway line was in the border area where no normal East German citizen was allowed to be.

          I don't think there were other examples - apart from West Berlin, were two subway lines and one S-Bahn passed underground under East Berlin. But this is probably well known. There is (at least) one book about these lines:

          An East German railway through West German territory may have existed only until in the beginning. Later on, no East German border guard was allowed in West Germany and the passengers could have stayed in the West - this the East German government did not want.

          East Germany had very sophisticated installations in the border stations to prevent trains from just passing through to the West. Two interesting books are:

          Sorry, all books are in German!

          Matthias
        • L. A. Nadybal
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
            Peter,
            Did you put the two files in the library - my maps segments over the
            Google Earth map?
            Interesting thing to do - we might make it better using a transparent
            image so one can see what underlies the black and white part.
            I tried to make a quick transparent file; it worked, but not too well.
            Tomorrow, I'll give it another shot - once we get it down to a
            routine, it might make an interesting and detailed atlas of enclaves,
            weird borders, etc., what all we cover here.
            Regards
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
              You can make the overlay as transparent as you wish or make it disappear
              altogether by sliding the control at the bottom of the "Places" section of
              the left panel on the Google Earth screen.

              Lowell G. McManus
              Leesville, Louisiana, USA

              > Did you put the two files in the library - my maps segments over the
              > Google Earth map?
              > Interesting thing to do - we might make it better using a transparent
              > image so one can see what underlies the black and white part.
              > I tried to make a quick transparent file; it worked, but not too well.
              > Tomorrow, I'll give it another shot - once we get it down to a
              > routine, it might make an interesting and detailed atlas of enclaves,
              > weird borders, etc., what all we cover here.
              > Regards
              > Len
            • Peter Tuffley
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
                On 2/07/2007, at 12:47 PM, L. A. Nadybal wrote:

                > Peter,
                > Did you put the two files in the library - my maps segments over the
                > Google Earth map?

                Yes. thanks, I did.

                Cheers

                Peter
              • Hugh Wallis
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
                  That is exceedingly cool. This is a beautifully accurate overlay - can you point me to some instructions on the technique to use for this?

                  I'm really confused now (easily done) - I thought it was Jan that uploaded them.

                  Cheers

                  Hugh

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
                    I didn't upload them, and I don't know anything about the technique.  I just recently discovered the slide control and wanted to help.

                    Lowell G. McManus
                    Leesville, Louisiana, USA

                    > Did you put the two files in the library - my maps segments over the
                    > Google Earth map?
                    > Interesting thing to do - we might make it better using a transparent
                    > image so one can see what underlies the black and white part.
                    > I tried to make a quick transparent file; it worked, but not too well.
                    > Tomorrow, I'll give it another shot - once we get it down to a
                    > routine, it might make an interesting and detailed atlas of enclaves,
                    > weird borders, etc., what all we cover here.
                    > Regards
                    > Len

                  • Peter Tuffley
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007

                      On 2/07/2007, at 2:14 PM, Hugh Wallis wrote:

                      That is exceedingly cool. This is a beautifully accurate overlay -

                      Another interesting detail: if you click on the left-hand whitish dot below the overlay you get a picture of an old DDR watchtower.

                      Peter
                    • Jan S. Krogh
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 4, 2007
                        Hugh,
                        I did not upload them to Borderpoint, but copied them to my own netpage as it appears to be no fixed image URLs on Borderpoint.
                        Thereafter I created two Google Earth kmz-files.

                        Skål!

                        Jan
                      • Hugh Wallis
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 4, 2007
                          AH - OK - got it

                          How did you get the scaling of the map images to match the Google Earth presentation - was it just trial and error?

                          Yahoo is annoying about its file URLs since once they are in the files area they appear to have URLs that encapsulate a whole lot of session information in them that then, of course, don't work for anyone else or even for you at a later time. For example I get:

                          However you can reconstruct an URL that does work by navigating to the appropriate folder in the files area - in this case http://groups.yahoo.com/group/borderpoint/files/Google%20Earth%20KMZ-files/ - and then appending the file name to that URL - so you get http://groups.yahoo.com/group/borderpoint/files/Google%20Earth%20KMZ-files/Grossburschla-Heldra%20Overlay.kmz (making sure to replace blanks in the file name with %20 of course).  Very clunky and irritating to have to do it this way :(