Luxembourg/Lorraine border at Ottange/Rumelange

  • Romain HODAPP
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005

      About an old article on our local newspaper :

      translated on line with altavista. The translation is maybe not perfect ...

      Other articles about live near the border :

      Just to comment the first article, it is probably not an enclave, but just the border that crosse a house.
      Tschuss
      Romain

      ---------------------------------------

      Luxembourg enclave in the north of Lorraine

      In Ottange, the border crosses a house

      The case is rare, but some examples exist at the borders of our country. In Ottange, M.et Mrs. Derond have the possibility of going to Luxembourg without leaving their house.

      Since a long time, Jules Derond passes from one country to the other by being unaware of the border posts, his house is european.

      It is enough to consult the cadrastal map to realize that the limit between the two countries chips the 58 of the street of Rumelange at Ottange, but the occupants of the house are hardly concerned with this characteristic: "except once, when I wanted to build a garage at the end of the building and that I made a request for permit building ". The town hall of Ottange could not study the file because the establishment envisaged was in Luxembourg territory: " On the side of Rumelange, they asked to see, and finally I gave up the project ". For a long time, the close ground was occupied by mining installations: " There was a breaker under my windows ". At present, in this kind of Luxembourg enclave, an allotment is in final phase, a house is built where was installed the noisy apparatus " It is all the same better thus "

      Among the files of the department of the Moselle, documents relating to the border exist. The limits were definitively traced at the end of the treaty of Courtrai, agreement signed by the Netherlands and France on March 28, 1820. It seems that before the signature of this treaty, the border was a little fuzzy, the private properties could pass from one country to the other. For conveniences, some exchanges had taken place between the two nations and the demarcation was to put a term at this mobility. Why the house of the Derond family could be built on the two countries at the beginning of our century? Probably because the owner did not worry about the border, but some affirm that the aforementioned owner was to have an European spirit and that he wanted to affirm his convictions.

    • Peter Smaardijk
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
        Interesting. An old map (1901) of the approximate location can be
        found at http://www.rail.lu/im/g/oettingen1901.jpg , when this part
        of Lorraine was part of Germany.
        Peter

        --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Romain HODAPP"
        <romain_hodapp@y...> wrote:
        > About an old article on our local newspaper :
        > http://archives.republicain-
        lorrain.fr/XX_siecle/4_frontiere/insolite.htm (in french)
        > translated on line with altavista. The translation is maybe not
        perfect ...

        > Other articles about live near the border :
        > http://archives.republicain-
        lorrain.fr/XX_siecle/4_frontiere/2panno.htm (in french)