Re: [borderpoint] World's busiest land border crossing "saturated"

  • Daryl Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2007
      I have crossed there before.  Yes, its busy, but the line ups don't seem as bad as you would expect when you see the trafic volume.  The Peace Arch crossing at the north end of I-5 which handles far less traffic is getting just as bad.  On a weekend, line ups of 1-2 hours have become the norm to get into the US.  On Good Friday, the local traffic station was reporting that the line up southbound on the freeway was 3 km long, and wait time was 4-5 hours.  Just plain stupid!

      Daryl
      Vancouver, BC

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 24, 2007
        about 2 months ago i came back to SD on a Sunday evening and was in line 4 HOURS.

        Congress has to do something soon, commerce and tourism are grinding to a halt.

        John Sullivan <xploreusa@...> wrote:
        Massive traffic cripples Tijuana border crossing

        SAN YSIDRO BORDER CROSSING, Calif (Reuters) - The world's busiest land border crossing between the United States and Mexico is "saturated" and "grossly out of date" but it is unclear if Congress will provide the money to overhaul it, a senior U.S. official said...

        ```````````` ````````` ````````` ````````` ````````` ```

        .

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 24, 2007
          I agree that something has to be done.  With 2-3 hour line ups becoming the norm at all four border crossings just south of Vancouver, tourism and commerce are both hurting.  The number of Americans crossing the line was apparently down 37% last year which does not bode well for tourism which is one of BC's largest sources of employment.  I have talked to a few truck drivers who are getting PO'd about spending hours at the border each way.  I-5 is the lifeline of the west coast, and commerce is taking a beating.  By doing this with our borders, we are letting the terrorists win!

          Daryl

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25, 2007
            Hi,

            Somewhat related is this recent Onion Network clip:

            http://www.theonion.com/content/video/in_the_know_the_u_s_moat

            "Panelists discuss the need to protect America's borders with a moat."

            Warning: This is a satire!

            Cheerio,

            Anton

            --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Brown <westerndbrown@...>
            wrote:

            > I agree that something has to be done. With 2-3 hour line ups
            becoming the norm at all four border crossings just south of
            Vancouver, tourism and commerce are both hurting. The number of
            Americans crossing the line was apparently down 37% last year which
            does not bode well for tourism which is one of BC's largest sources
            of employment. I have talked to a few truck drivers who are getting
            PO'd about spending hours at the border each way. I-5 is the
            lifeline of the west coast, and commerce is taking a beating. By
            doing this with our borders, we are letting the terrorists win!

            > Daryl

            junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at
            http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

          • Jan S. Krogh
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26, 2007
              Hehe

              I really guess the present American administration soon will construct a Soviet Sistema fence!  It was never so difficult to enter the USSR compared with how it at this moment is to visit the USA.  Much less people I know travel over there.

              But in Norway many is tired of this nonsense security theatre. One government party has called for a reform.  Those who really want to get illegally in to the USA I presume can easily get a false bio passport from many EU countries. Anything can be falsified.

              Regards,
              Jan