The last divided capital - in Africa

  • Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
      Amazing satellite shots of Ghana-Togo at the capital of Lome found at google maps http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lome&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=6.118708,1.199505&spn=0.014849,0.026994&t=k&om=1

      Couple of thoughs and questions:
      According to IBS there is a straight line north between pillar 1 and 2, so isn't there some Ghanese structures at the sea that end up in Togo?

      The map seem to indicate that the road along the border is in Togo, so doesn't it look like there is a Togo farm, plant or something further north - not far from where the border turns left - that is having part of their ground in Ghana.

      And where is exactly is pillar 2, if the border makes one sharp turn left. Looks to me that the bend is in the main road.

      One could argue that the clear line on the picture is not the border, but perhaps Togo has a small border strip, but this doesn't seem to be the case at this apparently friendly border.

      Some crossing info: http://wikimapia.org/207214/

      Jesper

      --
      Borderbase - your online guide to international borders and tripoints
      http://www.nicolette.dk/borderbase

    • Peter Smaardijk
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
        --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase"
        <jesper@...> wrote:

        > Amazing satellite shots of Ghana-Togo at the capital of Lome found
        at google
        > maps http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q
        > <http://maps.google.com/maps?
        f=q&hl=en&q=lome&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=6.118708,1.199
        > 505&spn=0.014849,0.026994&t=k&om=1>

        &hl=en&q=lome&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=6.118708,1.199505&spn=0.014849,0.026994&
        t=k&om
        > =1
        >
        > 1:200.000 Russian topo at
        > http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:8085/ghana/200k/02-31-14.jpg
        >
        > and the IBS at
        > http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS126.pdf
        >
        > Couple of thoughs and questions:
        > According to IBS there is a straight line north between pillar 1
        and 2, so
        > isn't there some Ghanese structures at the sea that end up in Togo?

        If the border runs right on the west side of the road, and the border
        continues due south, it looks like running through or close to the
        small building just south of the main east-west road. It would then
        just miss the easternmost corner of the building in Ghana that is
        closest to the sea. It does seem to cut through something (a
        pipeline?) that runs perpendicular to the shore, straight towards the
        sea, on the beach. I may be seeing too much in that aerial view, but
        it looks like there is a faint line running where the border could be.

        > The map seem to indicate that the road along the border is in Togo,
        so
        > doesn't it look like there is a Togo farm, plant or something
        further north
        > - not far from where the border turns left - that is having part of
        their
        > ground in Ghana.

        I don't follow you there. Further up north, towards pillar 2, there
        is no road running right alongside the border. I don't think that
        there are border-crossing structures, or farms, there. But maybe I
        missed something.

        > And where is exactly is pillar 2, if the border makes one sharp
        turn left.
        > Looks to me that the bend is in the main road.

        I think it just misses it.

        At this map (
        http://www.corinthiahotels.com/pics/entity_images/to_c2f_loc_map4.jpg
        ) the corner (=pillar 2) is near the junction of the avenue du R.P.T.
        and the boulevard du 30 août. B.t.w., the thin line is a power line;
        there is an electricity station of Togo Electricité there (see also
        http://membres.lycos.fr/makara/lome-karte.jpg ; maybe this is the
        plant you mean?)

        > One could argue that the clear line on the picture is not the
        border, but
        > perhaps Togo has a small border strip, but this doesn't seem to be
        the case
        > at this apparently friendly border.

        Don't think so either.

        Peter
      • Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
          Nice maps, Peter

          It could well be that my plant is Togo Electricite.

          http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lome&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=6.166401,1.200417&spn=0.003712,0.006738&t=k&om=1

          Jesper

          href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q">http://maps. google.com/ maps?f=q

          href="http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:8085/ghana/200k/02-31-14.jpg">http://sunsite. berkeley. edu:8085/ ghana/200k/ 02-31-14. jpg

          href="http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS126.pdf">http://www.law. fsu.edu/library/ collection/ LimitsinSeas/ IBS126.pdf

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 25, 2006
            Lome 1:50.000

            The pillar 2 is either extremely close to the road or it's not a true 90 degree bent.

            Jesper