Re: [borderpoint] Dutch help needed

  • Harry ten Veen
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hi Brendan,

      this old word meetinrichting (not meetinrichtung) would probably be peilontvanger in these modern times.
      meet = to measure
      inrichting = machine/apparatus

      I think a translation might be radio direction finder.

      Groeten en suc6
      Harry ten Veen

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        Which may mean a maritime radio homing device or a radar (RAdio Detection And Ranging).

        Jan

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
          Hardly. Radar is (correct me if I'm wrong) detecting "things" by
          using radio waves; what is meant here is a device detecting radio
          transmitters themselves. Anyway, I think this meetinrichting was
          operative during WW1, a bit before the use of radar.
          Peter

          --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jan S. Krogh" <jakro64@...>
          wrote:

          > Which may mean a maritime radio homing device or a radar (RAdio
          Detection
          > And Ranging).
          >
          > Jan
          > http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=302866 ;-)

        • Jan S. Krogh
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
            OK, then we are left with the homing device as Harry suggested.  If the enemy transmitter would be located in an aircraft a radar would be a proper measure.  But I agree the WWI is a bit early, since radar was in use only at WWII.

            Jan