RE: [borderpoint] Berlin for the avarage tourist

  • Jan S. Krogh
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2006
      Checkpoint Charlie. But for a border freak there is a lot, lot more to see. :-)))

      Jan

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17, 2006

        Berlin (my home city as it happens) is as fascinating for those with an interest in political geography and borders as ever it has been. But you do have to look a bit nowadays for things, as the evidence of the erstwhile division of the city fades. If you can, try and get hold of the excellent publication called "Wallmaps" produced by Edition Panorama, who have a website at: http://www.panorama-berlin.de.

        This is just a small map and guide, only €2.50, but it is very good. It lists all 19 on-street memorials and also various museums with relevant material. I see that the Checkpoint Charlie Museum has already a mention in another reply to your query. That is, to my mind, the least satisfactory of all the wall-oriented `sights'. It's quite scruffy nowadays and takes quite a one-sided view of Berlin 's history. But still worth a look, of course.

        You might enjoy the latest hidden europe e-news which picked up on the issue of the `visibility' of the Wall in modern Berlin . It was issued last Sunday (the sixty-fifth anniversary of the start of the construction of the Wall).  You'll find it online here. Click on the link, and look for e-news 2006/21 at the top.

        Hope these few thoughts help.

        Nicky

        --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase" <jesper@...> wrote:

        > Hey
        >
        > I am planning a short family trip to Berlin.
        >
        > What border related stuff is unavoidable and still interesting to a "normal"
        > person?
        >
        > Jesper
        >
        > --
        > Borderbase - your online guide to international borders and tripoints
        > http://www.nicolette.dk/borderbase

      • L. A. Nadybal
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 18, 2006
          Jesper,

          When you get to Berlin, find a book "Berliner Mauer-Radweg.
          It has maps of the sector borders and guides you around the marked
          bicycle route. You can find more detials, perhaps pictures from th
          ebook at www.esterbauer.com ISBN 3-85000-074-5.It will point out each
          place where wall remnants are. Maps in it are excellent. I got my
          copy at Thalia Bucher, Schlossstr 34, Berlin (10Euros) only last May,
          so it should still be avialable.

          Also visit www.berlin.de/stasi-landesbeauftragter (the keeper of Stasi
          papers relating to the DDR

          Also visit:

          the Allied Museum, Clayallee 135, (www.alliertenmuseum.de) - on the
          grounds of the former US kaserne, opposite the US Consulate.

          the Deutsch-Russischen Museum, Zeiselerstr 4, (corner Rheinsteinstr
          10318 Berlin - Karlshorst - former HQ, Russian Forces) (Tu-Sa 10-18h
          -free entry).

          the Gedenkstaette Guenther Litfin, Kielerstr 2 M-Th 12-17h, Sa,
          14-17h, inside the watchtower at Kielerstr, adjacent to pieces of the
          wall.

          Dokumentationszentrum Berliner Mauer, Bernauer str 111
          (www.berliner-maur-dokumentationszentrum.de) Tu-Su 10-18h Tel 0304642030.

          Definitely take a Spree river cruise - along the river, a couple of
          miles of wall are still visible, its a virtual open air museum with
          wildly painted wall.

          This ought to keep you busy.

          Regards
          Len