8264Re: [borderpoint] Tripoint ATHUSK

  • Diego González
    Mar 28, 2014
      Thank you very much, Marek. The table wasn't built when I visited the place 5 years ago. It was my first tripoint (of a total of, eh, uh, two, the other being BEDENL) and I enjoyed the visit a lot.

      Regards

      Hello there,

      thank you for that info. I live in the Czech Republic and that tripoint
      is actually the second closest for me. Back in 2007, I saw it from the
      distance (approx. 1.6 km across a field) while walking along the local
      road no. 2 from Bratislava (bus stop "Čunovo, rázcestie", where the
      suburban bus leaves the main road for the village of Čunovo) to the post
      office in Rajka, the first village in Hungary.

      I often describe this trip to friends as an anecdote, because travelling
      from Brno (CZ) to Bratislava (SK) and on foot to Rajka (HU) proved to be
      the quickest, cheapest and the only safe way to deliver an international
      scholarship application to the headquarters in Budapest (HU), because an
      inland express letter in Hungary was guaranteed to be delivere the next
      day, while the Czech Post could only say that for an international
      letter to reach Hungary it would take 2 to 3 days at least, and they
      could not even guarantee that.

      It is important to note that although Slovakia and Hungary entered the
      EU on May 1st, 2004, they implemented the Schengen Agreement only as of
      December 21st, 2007. That's why I could still see soldiers in tents
      patrolling the border near the tripoint, and why you do not remember any
      special constructions present in the area soon after public access was
      simplified because of Schengen Area.

      Obviously, however, a table with benches, an information panel etc. were
      built there soonly afterwards. If you zoom close to the tripoint on
      Google Maps, you can see some object on the satellite map and there is
      even a single point available for Google Street View, where you can look
      around the place. That imagery is dated September 2013. On the picture
      of the stone table that you have pointed to, I can distinguish the
      Austrian eagle on the bottom right and can imagine that the top right is
      the coat of arms of Hungary.

      This Panoramio gallery has many detailed pictures, taken in September
      2012: http://www.panoramio.com/user/1542243/tags/Rajka Someone who went
      there earlier on a bike did find there the sculptures (which were placed
      there in 1992, as I could find), but not yet the stone table:
      http://www.cykloturista.sk/slovensko/TURISTIKA/TROJMEDZIE%20JUH/index.htm Also
      in 2011, there were only sculptures and some bird watching spots:
      http://www.fotogaleria.caro.sk/thumbnails.php?album=106 Before Schengen,
      access was allowed only to passport holders from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.,
      officially only to visit the sculpture park, as can be seen on the panel
      pictured at: http://hawkey.fns.uniba.sk/akcie/14.html

      Hope this information helps. By the way, this is my first post in this
      group that I really like to follow. Should there not be a wiki where we
      would gather information on each tripoint? Probably the new Wikivoyage
      could accommodate such information, under free license, because original
      research is permitted there (unlike on Wikipedia). What do you think?

      Regards,
      Marek Blahuš in CZ

      On 2014-03-28 11:28, Diego González wrote:
      > Hello, Bordergeeks.
      >
      > I've found a compilation of border pictures in a chilean web. You can
      > watch it here:
      >
      > http://www.upsocl.com/cultura-y-entretencion/las-15-fotografias-mas-espectaculares-de-fronteras-entre-paises/
      >
      > The compilation includes a purported picture of ATHUSK tripoint. I've
      > been there
      > <http://fronterasblog.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/el-ultimo-pueblo-del-mundo-libre/>;

      > I travelled a few years ago with my wife, and I do not remember any
      > table just on the tripoint. Or anywhere. The exact tripoint was marked
      > with a white pole, not with a stone table and benches. Has the tripoint
      > changed in the last five years or it's a mistake? I can see the slovak
      > seal on the table, bur cannot recognize the others. What do you think?
      >
      > Best regards.
      >
      > --
      > http://fronterasblog.wordpress.com

      --