8233Re: [borderpoint] San Diego's New AAA Baseball Team

    Oct 23, 2013
      Aren't Chula Vista, National

      On Oct 23, 2013, at 9:40 PM, "Bill Baron" <bill@...> wrote:

      I’ve never really considered San Diego to be a border town, because you find yourself driving through Chula Vista, National City and San Ysidro before you get to Mexico.  But another example of a border AAA baseball team is the Buffalo Bisons, which is the affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays.  Toronto and Toledo are both border towns if you have a boat!

      - Bill Baron

      < p class=MsoNormal>From: borderpoint@yahoogroups.com [mailto:borderpoint@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris Merlo
      Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:03 PM
      To: borderpoint@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [borderpoint] San Diego's New AAA Baseball Team

      I'm writing because I just read this article about the name of the San Diego Padres' new AAA affiliate.  Here's the link: http://deadspin.com/el-pasos-minor-league-baseball-team-will-be-the-chihua-1450436512 but unless you're interested in baseball, and strange rs' opinions of team names, this article probably doesn't interest you at all.

      But as soon as I read the headline, something occurred to me.  The Padres play in a city that borders Mexico, and now their new AAA affiliate will also.  There is probably not a single person in the Padres organization that had that thought, or decided "Our AAA team should be in a border town also", but I found it an interesting coincidence.  The only other baseball team in a border town, the Detroit Tigers, have their AAA affiliate in Toledo, Ohio.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic