RE: [boost] SourceForge

  • Paul Moore
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 2 5:30 AM
      From: Nathan Myers [mailto:ncm@...]
      > If they allow you to use telnet to connect out, but not ssh, they are
      > discouraging sound security practices,

      :-( I know. Actually, I suspect that the telnet access is a bit of a
      "loophole" - it's not (well) publicised, and I expect that if I pointed out
      the issues, the access would simply be closed down, not replaced with ssh.

      > Don't request such a thing through the management chain;
      > instead, talk directly to the network administrator.

      Biggest problem - I don't know who that is. The admin is generally handled
      by a central group in Europe - our subsidiary in the UK works through
      them...

      > If all else fails, you can use CVS from home, via a modem to an ISP.
      > You can use those free AOL "500 hours" discs we are all inundated with
      > for a modem account.

      Yes, that's not a problem for me. The only issue I then have (related mainly
      to my personal lack of organisation :-) is keeping the copy at home, and the
      one at work, in line.

      > That some people work at places which have choked off all possibility
      > of normal CVS access is not a reason not to provide CVS services to
      > the rest of us.

      I agree wholeheartedly - and I never meant to suggest otherwise. My point
      was the converse - that it would be a shame if understanding of, and access
      to, CVS became a requirement for working on Boost, as it may exclude
      otherwise valuable contributors (which category probably doesn't include
      me!!!)

      Anyway, I'm happy to see how things progress. If nothing else, I can be a
      good testbed of the "non-CVS" routes for access...

      Paul.
    • Paul Moore
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 2 5:30 AM
        From: Mark Rodgers [mailto:mark.rodgers@...]
        > But does one size fit all? Maybe different maintainers would have
        > different policies on how they want to manage changes. Some might not
        > want to have to bother with the merging.

        I'd understood "a maintainer" in (1) as referring to a maintainer of Boost
        as a whole (currently Beman, later possibly a small group of people).

        As the contributor (& hence maintainer) of the rational library, I would not
        be willing or able to manage it via CVS. So I'd rather have that job
        delegated to a central authority. I know this fits with your suggestion of
        "or someone invited by the maintainer to do a merge," but I see a need for
        someone (or a group) who takes overall responsibility, and who acts as
        authority alongside (or in place of, where the maintainer cannot perform
        that function) individual maintainers.

        Paul.