Re: [Boomers International] Minimum Wage or minimum starvation

  • Catherine Swineford
    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 2, 2007
      Since I'm job hunting, maybe now's the time for me to take a run at becoming the Mayor of San Francisco!

      Catherine Swineford <cathesw2000@...> wrote:
      Maybe a fixer-upper condo.  But, the Homeowner's Association dues would probably kill you.

      wingsofblue2 <wingsofblue2@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Half a MILLION?????

      You can buy something for half a MILLION in San Francisco? Would it
      have windows and a bathroom??? Wow!

      Wings (inhabitor of Silicon Valley).

      --- In boomersinternationa l@yahoogroups. com, Catherine Swineford
      <cathesw2000@ ...> wrote:

      > Here in San Francisco, the minimum wage went to $9.14 as of January
      1st this year. And you can't buy anything for less than half a
      million.

      > Ronald <beachboyron19@ ...> wrote: If you take a look
      around most places the minimum wage should be
> [...]
      > raise em.
      > People at that level spend everything they make anyway so business
      > gets it all back but at least people get to use the money.
      >
      > There are some real problem areas right here in Southwest Florida.
      > Naples for example where an average home is $500,000 people can't
      buy
      > or rent. Teachers, Firefighters, Police and EMS workers, where are
      > they supposed to live? A builder has put a plan together to offer
      > them some affordable housing. What about store clerks,
      administrative
      > people, gas station attendents, hotel workers, wait staff, etc etc
      > supposed to live. I see signs all the time for jobs but no takers.
      > Young people graduate school and leave. Who can blame them?
      > To qualify for most homes in Naples, Florida you need an income of
      > about $87,000 minimum to qualify for a mortgage. Most workers in
      the
      > above categories don't make half of that.
      >
      > Giving small business tax breaks makes sense too. Small business
      and
      > low paid workers are a large percentage of the business and
      workforce
      > in this country. Send Exxon an invoice for all of it they can
      afford
      > it. Small business doesn't have the clout big business has but in
      > reality small business employs most of the workers. I've worked for
      > and owned a small business in my time. I've been on both ends.
      >
      > It is reaching a point that the affluent areas have the worse
      service.
      > Eventually rich areas will be self service. :-)
      >
      > WASHINGTON - The Senate voted overwhelmingly Thursday to boost the
      > federal minimum wage by $2.10 to $7.25 an hour over two years, but
      > packaged the increase with controversial tax cuts for small
      > businesses and higher taxes for many $1 million-plus executives.
      >

      > The increase in the minimum, the first in a decade, was approved by
      > 94-3 vote, capping a nine-day debate over how to balance the wage
      > hike with the needs of businesses that employ low-wage workers.
      >
      > A top priority of Democrats, the wage hike has both real and
      symbolic
      > consequences. It would be one of the first major legislative
      > successes of the new Democratic-controll ed Congress.
      >
      > "Passing this wage hike represents a small but necessary step to
      help
      > lift America's working poor out of the ditches of poverty and onto
      > the road toward economic prosperity," said Sen. Edward Kennedy
      (news,
      > bio, voting record), D-Mass.
      >
      > President Bush urged the House to support the measure,
      > including the tax help for small business. He said, "The Senate has
      > taken a step toward helping maintain a strong and dynamic labor
      > market and promoting continued economic growth."
      >
      > The bill must now be reconciled with the House version passed Jan.
      10
      > that contained no tax provisions. House Democrats have insisted
      they
      > want a minimum wage bill with no strings attached, though some have
      > conceded the difficulty of passing the legislation in the Senate
      > without tax breaks.
      >
      > Republicans stressed the importance of the business tax breaks in
      the
      > bill, though it was a significantly smaller tax package than
      > Republicans had sought during previous attempts to raise the
      minimum
      > wage.
      >
      > "The Senate's reasonable approach recognizes that small businesses
      > have been the steady engine of our growing economy and that they
      have
      > been a source of new job creation, a source of job training," said
      > Sen. Michael Enzi (news, bio, voting record), R-Wyo., who helped
      > manage the debate for the GOP.
      >
      > The bill presents a challenge to Democrats who must navigate
      between
      > the demands of labor and other interest groups and the realities of
      > the Senate, where Republicans hold 49 of 100 votes. House and
      Senate
> [...]
      > potential GOP filibuster.
      >
      > "Of course, Democrats would prefer to pass a clean increase in the
      > minimum wage," said the spokesman, Jim Manley. "The fact is that
      > Republicans have made it very clear that the only way we will pass
      > modest increase in the minimum wage is with tax breaks for small
      > business."
      >
      > Besides increasing the minimum wage from the current $5.15 an hour,
      > the bill would extend for five years a tax credit for businesses
      that
      > hire the disadvantaged and provide expensing and depreciation
      > advantages to small firms. The tax breaks would be paid for by
      > closing loopholes on offshore tax shelters, by capping deferred
      > compensation payments to corporate executives and by removing the
      > deductibility of punitive damage payments and fines.
      >
      > Senators also adopted an amendment that would bar companies that
      hire
      > illegal immigrants form obtaining federal contracts. That measure
      was
      > designed to encourage companies to participate in an employee
      > identification program that can weed out undocumented workers.
      >
      > While the tax breaks have won the support of small business groups
      as
      > well as retailers and restaurant owners, they have drawn opposition
      > from larger businesses that would bear the brunt of the revenue
      > provisions. Several business groups also opposed the immigration
      > measure.
      >
      > After the House passed its bill on Jan. 10, the White House issued
      > statement insisting that final legislation include small business
      tax
      > breaks. It subsequently issued a statement supporting the Senate
      > version, but said the revenue measures were not necessary.
      >
      > According to the Labor Department, 479,000 workers earned exactly
      > $5.15 an hour in 2005, the most recent estimate available. Most are
      > young and unmarried and more likely to be women, minorities and
      part-
      > time workers. According to the liberal Economic Policy Institute,
      the
      > increase would affect 5.6 million who make less than the proposed
      > minimum of $7.25.
      >
      > More than two dozen states and the District of Columbia have
      minimum
      > wages higher than the federal level. The political potency of the
      > issue was evident last November, when proposals to raise statewide
      > minimums passed in all six states where they came to a vote.
      >
      > Rep. George Miller (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., a close
      ally
      > of Speaker Pelosi, said he has talked to key Democrats in the House
      > and Senate to make sure the differences in the bills don't derail
      the
      > effort to raise the minimum wage.
      >
      > "We just have to sort it out," Miller said. "I think it can be

      TV dinner still cooling?

    • wingsofblue2
      Message 37 of 37 , Feb 4, 2007
        LOL

        --- In boomersinternational@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Salvi
        <beachboyron19@...> wrote:

        > When you are in the public eye everything you do becomes public
        knowledge. As they said in the movie American President the American
        people decide what is and what is not their business.