Revival of Spoonerisms?

  • jbautog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2004
      Hey Folks.
             There seems to be a revival of spoonerisms going on. In my new novel "Millard Fillmore, Mon Amour," the neurotic hero gets so anxious around beautiful women he starts sputtering spoonerisms. This Sunday's New York Times crossword was a Spoonerism Puzzle and I believe there will be a new kids' book that features them.
             In case you don't know, a spoonerism is a silly wordplay game in which you transpose the first letter or letters of 2 words in a sentence. For example: "take a shower" would be "shake a tower": "seeding a little nun" becomes "needing a little sun." And so forth. It's kind of fun, but if you're like me, you're probably driving your family a little nuts with them. Odd, no?
             Best, JohnB.