Do Reviews Influence You?

  • jbautog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
      Last weekend, a writer friend of mine and I were arguing about the influence of reviews versus word of mouth.We resolved nothing, so I put it to you -- How much influence do book reviews have on you? Are you more likely to buy a book if it receives a good review in a national or local newspaper, or is word of mouth more important? Are there any particular reviews that you follow religiously?
           Best, John Blumenthal
           Author, "What's Wrong With Dorfman?"

    • Jen Gilbert
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
        Well, I have only ever bought one book because of a review -- and that was
        last week.

        But then, I don't usually buy books that people recommend, either. I've
        only ever done that once, too.

        I guess I just chance upon books. I buy authors that I am familiar with,
        and that I am fairly certain that I will like. New authors that I enjoyed
        reading exerpts from I will buy as well, but I usually just open the book in
        the store and read a page to decide.

        Does that help at all?

        Kali

        http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/features&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca
      • ~J. Wolf~
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
          I was talking about this with my partner the other day too! I read tons of books and also write book reviews (for Linear Reflections at http://www.linearreflections.com  check it out) and my own web site ( http://crowswolf.tripod.com/wolfspicks ) so I'm always reading the reviews of the books I'm currently reading, just to see what other people think.  Regardless though, if I want to buy/read a book, I will.  A bad review wont' stop me.

          More often than not, I'll read what I want.  Though I do find that that word of mouth is something I listen to.  Reviews I can give and take, but if a friend of mine comes to me and says "That book is crap", I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably still read the book, but I'm more likely to listen to someone I know rather than an anonymous review.

          Cheers!

          Wolf

          --

          Jamieson Wolf Villeneuve: An Online Portfolio
          http://crowswolf.tripod.com/jamiesonwolfvilleneuve/

          jbautog@... wrote:

           Last weekend, a writer friend of mine and I were arguing about the influence of reviews versus word of mouth.We resolved nothing, so I put it to you -- How much influence do book reviews have on you? Are you more likely to buy a book if it receives a good review in a national or local newspaper, or is word of mouth more important? Are there any particular reviews that you follow religiously?
               Best, John Blumenthal
               Author, "What's Wrong With Dorfman?"

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          --