Re: hey you!

  • Maria Manemann
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 1998
      Hello Alison,

      I'm Maria. I'm rather new to this list and haven't introduced myself
      yet.

      I'm currently reading some of Dorothy Sayer's Lord Peter Whimsy
      detective novels. One of my other lists got to talking about them and I
      got curious. I've also curious lately about philosophy, human rights,
      justifiable murder and ethical hunting. Weird, huh? ;)
      What's so frustrating is that I'm dirt poor and the library has to
      borrow the books I want from other libraries therefore I have to =wait!=
      Unrequited curiousity is =not= pretty.
      I hope I'm not boring you. Tell me, what causes =you= to pick up a
      particular book and start reading it?

      Maria
    • aliwonder@xxxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 1998
        Hi. Is anybody out there? It's been a while since anyone sent anything. So, I thought I'd start. Let's see...Since last time I posted I have read a few books. I finally finished "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy. I really enjoyed it. I felt like I actually knew the narrator and his family. At the end I kept wondering what would happen afterwards. I got really caught up in it. So much happened. Does anyone else want to discuss it? I'd love to if you've already read it.
        I also read a book called "Going Down" about this girl who works her way through NYU as a prostitute. It's by Jennifer Belle. Now I am not sure what to say about it. I went from hating it, to liking it very frequently. I guess some parts of it seem too ridiculous, too coincidental, and too confusing. A problem I had is that the author didn't really develop the characters well enough for me. If anyone has read it, e-mail me.
        At the moment I am reading Ishmael"(Daniel Quinn) and "Nine Stories and Seymor an Introduction"(Salinger).
        What is everyone else reading? Oh, and I just listened to an audio tape(for the first time) of Anna Karenina. I thought it was really good. It was kind of cool to listen to it. The lady who read it had a cool accent:)
        So, I'd love to hear what everyone else is reading and discuss some books. Oh, and if anyone writes, stories or poems would be cool here too.
        -alison
      • KyreaGold@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 1998
          Hi,

          I just finished listening to my first audio book too. I listened to The
          Rapture of Canaan. I loved the narrator's voice that read mine too :)

          Right now I am reading the Winter of our Discontent by Steinbeck, liking it
          very much. Also reading the Narnia series with my son, this is my all time
          favorite.

          I just finished Confederacy of Dunces, which I absolutely loved and Junky by
          Burroughs, I thought it was okay.

          I have 9 Stories on my TBR read pile. How are you liking Ishmael? I started
          it a few months ago and it ended up getting put aside, maybe I will try it
          again.

          --Kyrea

          << What is everyone else reading? Oh, and I just listened to an audio
          tape(for the first time) of Anna Karenina. I thought it was really good. It
          was kind of cool to listen to it. The lady who read it had a cool accent:)
          So, I'd love to hear what everyone else is reading and discuss some books.
          Oh, and if anyone writes, stories or poems would be cool here too. >>
        • Alison Dickman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 1998
            Hi Maria. Welcome to the list:)I am also interested in philosophy, and
            justifiable murder. Right now I am reading Ishmael, which is very
            interesting in a philosophical way. It also has other implications. It
            is basically asking the reader to look around and examine the way he/she
            is living life.
            Now to answer your question, I pick up books for lots of reasons. A
            lot of times I will hear from a friend about a good book and I will
            borrow it or get it from the library. Or if I find an author I like a
            lot I will try to read as many of their books as I can. Other times, I
            just go into a bookstore and pick up random books with cool titles. I
            read a few pages. If I like the author's style of writing from the
            first few pages, I try it out. I have been known to curl up in a comfy
            chair at Borders and read an entire book in one sitting. It beats
            paying for it!
            Oh, and if you are looking for cheap books, try used book stores.
            You could even bring in some of your old books to trade in to help you
            out. I did that all summer. I bought used books, read them, and traded
            them in for more used books. Hope you find some good cheap books soon.
            --alison>

            >Hello Alison,
            >
            > I'm Maria. I'm rather new to this list and haven't introduced myself
            >yet.
            >
            > I'm currently reading some of Dorothy Sayer's Lord Peter Whimsy
            >detective novels. One of my other lists got to talking about them and
            >got curious. I've also curious lately about philosophy, human rights,
            >justifiable murder and ethical hunting. Weird, huh? ;)
            > What's so frustrating is that I'm dirt poor and the library has to
            >borrow the books I want from other libraries therefore I have to
            =wait!=
            >Unrequited curiousity is =not= pretty.
            > I hope I'm not boring you. Tell me, what causes =you= to pick up a
            >particular book and start reading it?
            >
            > Maria

          • Alison Dickman
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 1998
              Kyrea--
              Hi. Glad people are talking again:) You asked about Ishmael. I am
              enjoying it. It's funny because it is a quick read, but not really.
              What I mean is that it seems quick because it is divided up into really
              short sections, but not because it makes you sit and think a lot.
              Sometimes I get lost and have to reread and then it makes sense. A lot
              of times I have to put it down to let everything sink in. But, I am
              enjoying it just the same. You should give it a try again. Oh, and
              just out of curiosity did you ever read Sophie's World? It's about the
              girl getting the philosophy lessons by the mysterious teacher? Ishmael
              reminds me of that book a bit. I liked that book, but I met some people
              who totally hated it. I guess it's because I am interested in
              philosophy and they weren't.
              I also love The Chronicles of Narnia. I gave my copy of The Lion,
              The Witch, and The Wardrobe to the nine yr. old who I am a nanny for. I
              can't remember if I read more in the series. I heard they were all
              really good.
              You read Franny and Zoey right? I just read that a few weeks ago
              and I really enjoyed it. I think Zooey was an interesting character,
              very weird, don't you think? What were your thoughts? I can't seem to
              collect mine now.

            • KyreaGold@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 10, 1998
                Hi Alison :)

                << Oh, and
                just out of curiosity did you ever read Sophie's World? It's about the
                girl getting the philosophy lessons by the mysterious teacher? >>>>>

                I actually have Sophie's World in my TBR pile. I am very anxious to get to
                it, as I am using it as an intro to philosophy. I am very interested in
                philosophy but unfortunately have not really studied it......yet...

                <<You read Franny and Zoey right? I just read that a few weeks ago
                and I really enjoyed it. I think Zooey was an interesting character,
                very weird, don't you think? What were your thoughts? I can't seem to
                collect mine now.>>>>>>>>>

                I enjoyed this book, too, especially the bathroom scene. I haven't read any
                other Salinger yet...but Catcher in the Rye I plan to read before year's end!!

                Kyrea
                Currently reading: The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart; Angelheaded Hipster by
                Steve Turner; Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.
                Just Finished: The Winter of Our Discontent by Steinbeck
              • Alison Dickman
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 10, 1998
                  Hi. Right now I am still reading Ishmael, actually at this very moment
                  I am about 1/3 done. Surprisingly enough, that is the only book I am
                  reading now. I was reading Raise High The Roofbeam Carpenters and
                  Seymour and Introduction by Salinger, but i put it down to read this.
                  This is a really good book. Afterwards I plan on reading Interview With
                  a Vampire by Anne Rice and Art &Lies by Jeanette Winterson. She is my
                  absolute favorite:) I am on the winterson list too. Well, hope to hear
                  from others. I will keep you posted on Ishmael.
                  --alison