Microcontroller With Two UARTS

  • Zeeshan Sharif
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
      Assalamo Allykum !

      I am working on a project in which I required two UARTs.

      I am working on the Master Slave Project...

      I will connect one UART to the all Slaves and the other UART will connect to the Computer.

      Or, is there any method to do this ....

      I will be very thankful to everyone.

      Take Care

      Keep remember me in your prayers.

      Allah Hafiz

      Zeeshan Shareef
      Industrial Electronics Engineering
      IIEE, PCSIR, Karachi, Pakistan
      +92-321-3805211
      +92-21-4576645

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • bibin john
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
        But how many slaves u r using.
        use this way if you want to use uart

        one uart of master to computer(rs232 port)
        other uart TX to RX of all slaves

        slave1 TX to buffer(tristate buffer 74126) to RX of master(  SLAVE TX---74126---RX MASTER)

        The same procedure for all remaining slaves
        74126 control pin is controlled from master. The u can do this
        Tell more about the number of slaves and microcontroller

        see this
        http://booksbybibin.14.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=119

        put your doubts in my forum
        www.booksbybibin.tk

        Bibin John
        www.bibinjohn.tk

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
          Assalamo Allykum !

          I want to connect the 3-Slaves to 1-Master. Then I want to connect this master to the Computer.... I also want to use this technique.

          But the problem is that :

          Which Microcontroller have two UARTS..Because I was using AT89C51 Microcontroller. This Microcontroller have only 1 UART. Ican use AT89C51 for the slaves but not for the Master Beacuse the MATSER required 2-UARTS , and AT89C51 have only one UART.

          So My Question is ::::

          Is there any Microntroller that have Two UARTS??  But that Microcontroller should be compatible with the 8051(programming language must be same.)

          My one teacher told me that AT89C251 have two UARTS. But I don't know that it is of INTEL or ATMEL.

          I also know that ATMega162 have 2 UARTS but its instruction set is totally different form the AT89C51.

          Now please tell me :::

          Is there any 8051 compatible Microcontroller that have 2-UARTS, Beacuse i will usee this Microcontroller as a MASTER.

          Waiting for Reply.

          Keep remember me in your prayers.

          Zeeshan Shareef
          Industrial Electronics Engineering
          IIEE, PCSIR, Karachi, Pakistan
          +92-321-3805211
          +92-21-4576645

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • omid sharifi
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
            salamo alaykom va rahmatollah
            i think it must be intel , because atmsl 8051 only have one uart . but why you dont use avr ?
            regards
            omid sharifi

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006
              Now u want these thing

              u want to work with 89c51 with one uart
              u had to connect the master to 3 slave using uart
              u have to connect master to serial port of computer

              do like this way. U require 4 89c51 and 2 74126 tristate buffer

              connections as follows

              slaves Rx= output of Tx buffered through one tristate buffer (control pin of tht is controlled by uC)(one trisate buffer used
              slave Tx+one trisate(control pin of tht is controlled by uC) buffer+Rx of master
              (3 tristate buffer used)

              Rx of computer to TX of master through one tristate buffer (control pin of tht is controlled by uC)(one trisate buffer used

              TX of computer to RX of master through one tristate buffer (control pin of tht is controlled by uC)(one trisate buffer used)

              So total 6 buffer(8 buffer in 2 74126)

              But here master controls full operations of computer as well as slaves

[...]

            • Marlon Hiraldo

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006
                  Hey me again,

                      In my last email I forgot to mention that Dallas semiconductors (AKA maxim electronics) gives free samples of most ICs they make. That's even cooler. Hey just my two cents.

                  /c0olcast

                  PD: Here's the link to the info on the MCU http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2963

[...]

                • hesham elkady
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006

                    Wa Alikom El Salam Wa Rahmat Allah Wa Barakatoh

                    i don't have a large experience in microcontroller types but i want to mention that i have used two microcontrollers ATmega8515 they have only 1 Uart but they have also a Usart ,we have connected the two microcontroller with each other through SPI via the Usart and one of them was master and the other was slave and it did its job well,i hope this small remark be in use for u.

                    thx alot,and God bless u

                    Hesham El Kady(hesham_2ady@...)

                    From: Marlon Hiraldo <c0olcast@...>
                    To: booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 08:38:44 -0700 (PDT)

                    Hello there!!,

                    Zeeshan Sharif <zeeshan_iiee@ yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

                    Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1�/min.

                  • Marlon Hiraldo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006
                      Hey there!!!
                          As I mentioned before the ds89c420 would be a good chooice for your project, because it has two UARTs, so you would use one for the PC side and the other for the slave side.

                          One thing that you could do is use the UART in the at89c51 to talk to the PC and use software I2C to talk to the slaves. I've done that before and it works great. The only problem might be speed, you won't get more that a coulpe k/s transfer doing software I2C.

                          Implementing i2c in software is as simple as doing a google search, there're readily available routines that you could use.

                          But any how, go the DS89c420 way, is the most easy and the extra UART is accessible thru SFR just like the one in the at89c51. Maybe you did not understand my last email, the DS89c420 is 100% code and pin compatible with the at89c51, the only diference is that the c420 runs your code about 4 times faster than the c51; has more memory (code and ram); and has an extra DPTR.

                      /c0olcast

                      Hesham El Kady(hesham_2ady@ hotmail.com)