how to simulate a c program in avr studio4

  • welkyb
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2009
      Hi,
      I am new to microcontrollers.I have just started a project on avr microcontrollers ATmega8 using a temp sensor and an led. I have written c program for it. First I was trying in WinAVR Programmers Notepad, by making .hex, .cof etc. But somebody told me that I can directly simulate it in AVR Studio. I mean CAN I DIRECTLY WRITE A C PROGRAM IN AVR STUDIO?
      If yes, then please tell what extension should I use to save the file.
      And after saving it should I RUN it from DEBUG Menu option.
    • Rahul Waghmare
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2009
        hi
        that right u can simulate c Program for AVR using AVR studio. But for that u hav to select the AVR GCC at the start wizard of the project. this is the GNU C Compiler.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2009
          the procedure is like this:
          start---->AvrStudio4-------enter
          click on 'New project' then 'AVRgcc' then give project folder name and click on 'Next' then select device then click on '0K'
          now click on the project tab then click on 'Configuration option'
          then fill the frequency scroll button.
          now write the c code in the main window.
          now build it using Build tab.
          now to simulate it using debug tab.
          press F11 to execute each step...
          and see the result in right I/O port window..
        • deepak tc
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2009

          Hai,

                  Yes, you can directly write c program in AVR Studio. I first installed WinAVR and then AVR Studio.

                 You can start new project in AVR studio by jest opening AVR Studio(PIC 1), there is two option to start project one is “Atmel AVR Assembler” other one is “AVR GCC” (PIC 2), thak "AVR GCC" and you can give project name and create initial file and folder - click "Next".  Then take AVR Simulator (PIC 3)  and select your chip and finish, you can start now(PIC 4) and after bild & run you have the HEX file also there are some use full plug-in(PIC 5).

                 So just try it.

          Deepak.T.Cherian

          Thunder Boyz
          MooN Boys

          Message 5 of 5 , Jun 17, 2009
            Hi, Yes you can write the code directly to AVR studio 4.create folder for ur project .all u have to do is to start a new project in Avr studio,Then show the path from Avr studio chose a name for ur new c file(main file which will contain the main ()) select Avr GCC if ur coding in C else in Avr Assembler for assembly language programming. you are programming in c so its AVr gcc. select the microcontroller(yours atmega8)click finish.you r done .

            After programming you can see the port simulations in the avr studio.microcontroller port changes according to your programming.

            But if you want to see real time simulation you a software named Proteous7.5 .nice simulator .

            Sometimes its hard to follow written instruction .if u want i can send you a pdf containing all the instructions step by step with pictures.

            I hope this may help you.

            KallolKK