Re: [booksbybibin,www.booksbybibin.tk] webserver thru wiz810mj

  • siddhesh bagwe
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2009
      http://tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200611/embedded-webserver.shtml

      Chk this out. I tried it. but wat i could manage is to get link LED to glow on my web server device. The device receives signals on Ethernet cable but doesn't respond to them. I used wireshark to  check the signals on cable.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2009
        Stefan,

        The whole project fits perfectly in the 8kb of flash the atmega88. I opted for the 168 just in case, but I oughtn't. Don't worry about the RAM, 512 bytes is still enough. I would worry more about the cpu clock (se it to 20Mhz and SPI to clk/2) to make it ultra responsive. I got around 2 seconds for loading a 50 byte website from the uC, which is still pretty good condidering the 8-bit architecture.
        Thanks for the quote, made me laugh. Sounds like the movie "Snatch" by Guy Ritchie. :)

        Others,
        Beware of the ENCJ chip . It's a lulu. Some of my friends wanted to create something similar but found the Wiznet's aproach to be far better. Also, search for ehternet to UART modules. I believe these to be superior even to wiznet modules. One major drawback of the wiznet is the 2mm pin pitch, double inline. Extremely annoying. Not bread-board compatible.

        Regards,
        Mihai

        --- In booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com, "s.holder123@..." <s.holder123@...> wrote:

        > I noticed you are using a atmega168 on your project page, was a mega 8 not enough ?
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > --- In booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com, "Mihai Galos" <mihaigalos@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Stefan,
        > >
        > > 1. It is obvious you don't know there is a free TCP/IP Stack ANSI-C compliant and ready to be integrated in embedded projects.
        > >
        > > 2. You don't know there is hardware support for PING and others, on the wiznet chip.
        > >
        > > 3. You are missing the point. You're not building a webserver that will host a multimedia-rich, size-mammoth website. Think of it as a simple webpage consisting of a table with 3 rows and two columns, for example, that states the max , min and average temperature at the location.
        > >
        > > In this regard, the project remains feasable.
        > >
        > > Kind regards,
        > > Mihai
        > >
        > > --- In booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Holder" <s.holder123@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > It is fairly hopeless to do anything useful with a web server and this
        > > > processor.
        > > >
        > > > Even if you could mange to squeeze in some flash code, the Ram memory is
        > > > just too small.
        > > >
        > > > I would suggest using the Atmel 128, lots of prog memory and 4k of ram and
        > > > plenty of eeprom.
        > > >
        > > > To be honest I would suggest something with more ram, but the 128 will do
        > > > it.
        > > >
        > > > What protocols do you want to support WebPages, dhcp, udp, ping ?
        > > >
        > > > Software wise, you might want to consider a real time system. (RTOS)
        > > >

        > > > Regards

      • Steven Holder
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2009

          Hi mihai,

          Ok will note that for the future, must admit I thought the 8k flash size would be a limiting factor, the wiznet chip must be doing a lot of the work then.

          I have used the enc chip and found it to be ok, but doesn’t have a lot of the built in functionality that other chips have, might give the wiznet chip a try, thanks for the comments, extremely usefull.

          Regards