Re: connecting a webcam to Atmega

  • vinaydand
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
      Hello Mihai,

      AVR with native USB are available,
      USBAVR series
      http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=607#1761

      Regards,
      Vinay

      --- In booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com, "Mihai Galos" <mihaigalos@...>
      wrote:

      > I don't mean to burst your bubble but the project doesn't sound
      fesable.

      > First of all, expect really low processing power for graphics from
      an
      > AVR for what you need. They are an 8-bit architecture, designed
      for
      > process management and decision making, not CPU-intensive
      applications
      > such as graphics.
      >
      > Second, there is no AVR in the atmel lineup that suports USB
      natively.
      > You must use an USB Controller such as ftdi's FT232RL. Or use a
      pic
      > that has native usb support (18F series). I personally hate PIC to
      > death.
      >
      > Third, you dont have the drivers for the webcam in open-source,
      ANSI-C
      > or compatible format. These drivers are usually binary DLL's that
      come
      > for windows. If your webcam is an open-source implementation with
      open
      > source drivers, then, and only then you're in luck.
      >
      > Consider purchasing a camera sensor for which drivers have source
      files.
      > Also, consider something like ARM7 or even ARM9 for processing of
      data.

      > Kind regards,
      > Mihai Galos
      >

      > --- In booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com, "loophole_immortal"
      > <loophole_immortal@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey guys,
      > > im trying to make a cam contolled bot.
      > > kind send any sugestions/tips u might have.
      > > Is it possible to set up a USB host Using mega16 itself?
      > > my webcam has a USB slave output, uses SONIX SC9C102 camera
      driver.
      > > i dont know what the actual sensor is. how can i find out?
      > >
      > > thanks in adv.

    • Mihai Galos
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
        Great link, made me raise my eyebrow.

        Are you sure that Tracked image resolution of up to 88 x 144 pixels
        (at 30 frames/second) is enough ? Anyway, it's amazing that somebody
        actually did it with an avr. I think the sensor must have somekind of
        coprocessor, even at this resolution i'm impressed.

        P.s. The image sensor uses an open-source driver :)

        Regards,
        Mihai

        --- In booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com, Pratik Dhaboo <pratik2222@...>
        wrote:

        > http://www.jrobot.net/Projects/AVRcam.html
        >
        > --- On Fri, 2/27/09, loophole_immortal <loophole_immortal@...>
        wrote:

        > From: loophole_immortal <loophole_immortal@...>
        > Subject: [booksbybibin,www.booksbybibin.tk] connecting a webcam to
        Atmega
        > To: booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com
        > Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 1:52 PM
        >

        > Hey guys,
        > im trying to make a cam contolled bot.
        > kind send any sugestions/tips u might have.
        > Is it possible to set up a USB host Using mega16 itself?
        > my webcam has a USB slave output, uses SONIX SC9C102 camera driver.
        > i dont know what the actual sensor is. how can i find out?
        >
        > thanks in adv.

      • Mihai Galos
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
          I just researched Atmel's website and found there is a lineup of uC
          that support USB Natively (wuhu!). Here is the list:

          AT90USB1286
          AT90USB1287
          AT90USB162
          AT90USB646
          AT90USB647
          AT90USB82
          ATmega16U4
          ATmega32U4

          wrote:

          > http://www.jrobot.net/Projects/AVRcam.html
          >
          > --- On Fri, 2/27/09, loophole_immortal <loophole_immortal@...>
          wrote:

          > From: loophole_immortal <loophole_immortal@...>
          > Subject: [booksbybibin,www.booksbybibin.tk] connecting a webcam to
          Atmega
          > To: booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 1:52 PM
          >

          > Hey guys,
          > im trying to make a cam contolled bot.
          > kind send any sugestions/tips u might have.
          > Is it possible to set up a USB host Using mega16 itself?
          > my webcam has a USB slave output, uses SONIX SC9C102 camera driver.
          > i dont know what the actual sensor is. how can i find out?
          >
          > thanks in adv.

        • abhishek kamath
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
            Unfortunately none of these ICs are readily available in the market. The USB series seems to be reserved for industrial use only.
            -Abhishek

          • Akshay Aggarwal
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
              well i've tried to do a similar thing. My application was that of a remote ground vehicle. We had used the CMU CAM. It pinched the pocket but was worth it.

              --
              Akshay Aggarwal
              Undergraduate Student