Re: [booksbybibin,www.booksbybibin.tk] connecting a webcam to Atmega

  • Pratik Dhaboo
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2009
      http://www.jrobot.net/Projects/AVRcam.html

      --- On Fri, 2/27/09, loophole_immortal <loophole_immortal@...> wrote:
      From: loophole_immortal <loophole_immortal@...>
      Subject: [booksbybibin,www.booksbybibin.tk] connecting a webcam to Atmega
      To: booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 1:52 PM

      Hey guys,
      im trying to make a cam contolled bot.
      kind send any sugestions/tips u might have.
      Is it possible to set up a USB host Using mega16 itself?
      my webcam has a USB slave output, uses SONIX SC9C102 camera driver.
      i dont know what the actual sensor is. how can i find out?

      thanks in adv.

    • vinaydand
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
        Hello Mihai,

        AVR with native USB are available,
        USBAVR series
        http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=607#1761

        Regards,
        Vinay

        --- In booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com, "Mihai Galos" <mihaigalos@...>
        wrote:

        > I don't mean to burst your bubble but the project doesn't sound
        fesable.

        > First of all, expect really low processing power for graphics from
        an
        > AVR for what you need. They are an 8-bit architecture, designed
        for
        > process management and decision making, not CPU-intensive
        applications
        > such as graphics.
        >
        > Second, there is no AVR in the atmel lineup that suports USB
        natively.
        > You must use an USB Controller such as ftdi's FT232RL. Or use a
        pic
        > that has native usb support (18F series). I personally hate PIC to
        > death.
        >
        > Third, you dont have the drivers for the webcam in open-source,
        ANSI-C
        > or compatible format. These drivers are usually binary DLL's that
        come
        > for windows. If your webcam is an open-source implementation with
        open
        > source drivers, then, and only then you're in luck.
        >
        > Consider purchasing a camera sensor for which drivers have source
        files.
        > Also, consider something like ARM7 or even ARM9 for processing of
        data.

        > Kind regards,
        > Mihai Galos
        >

        > --- In booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com, "loophole_immortal"
        > <loophole_immortal@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey guys,
        > > im trying to make a cam contolled bot.
        > > kind send any sugestions/tips u might have.
        > > Is it possible to set up a USB host Using mega16 itself?
        > > my webcam has a USB slave output, uses SONIX SC9C102 camera
        driver.
        > > i dont know what the actual sensor is. how can i find out?
        > >
        > > thanks in adv.

      • Mihai Galos
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
          Great link, made me raise my eyebrow.

          Are you sure that Tracked image resolution of up to 88 x 144 pixels
          (at 30 frames/second) is enough ? Anyway, it's amazing that somebody
          actually did it with an avr. I think the sensor must have somekind of
          coprocessor, even at this resolution i'm impressed.

          P.s. The image sensor uses an open-source driver :)

          Regards,
          Mihai

          --- In booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com, Pratik Dhaboo <pratik2222@...>
          wrote:

          > http://www.jrobot.net/Projects/AVRcam.html
          >
          > --- On Fri, 2/27/09, loophole_immortal <loophole_immortal@...>
          wrote:

          > From: loophole_immortal <loophole_immortal@...>
          > Subject: [booksbybibin,www.booksbybibin.tk] connecting a webcam to
          Atmega
          > To: booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 1:52 PM
          >

          > Hey guys,
          > im trying to make a cam contolled bot.
          > kind send any sugestions/tips u might have.
          > Is it possible to set up a USB host Using mega16 itself?
          > my webcam has a USB slave output, uses SONIX SC9C102 camera driver.
          > i dont know what the actual sensor is. how can i find out?
          >
          > thanks in adv.

        • Mihai Galos
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
            I just researched Atmel's website and found there is a lineup of uC
            that support USB Natively (wuhu!). Here is the list:

            AT90USB1286
            AT90USB1287
            AT90USB162
            AT90USB646
            AT90USB647
            AT90USB82
            ATmega16U4
            ATmega32U4

            wrote:

            > http://www.jrobot.net/Projects/AVRcam.html
            >
            > --- On Fri, 2/27/09, loophole_immortal <loophole_immortal@...>
            wrote:

            > From: loophole_immortal <loophole_immortal@...>
            > Subject: [booksbybibin,www.booksbybibin.tk] connecting a webcam to
            Atmega
            > To: booksbybibin@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 1:52 PM
            >

            > Hey guys,
            > im trying to make a cam contolled bot.
            > kind send any sugestions/tips u might have.
            > Is it possible to set up a USB host Using mega16 itself?
            > my webcam has a USB slave output, uses SONIX SC9C102 camera driver.
            > i dont know what the actual sensor is. how can i find out?
            >
            > thanks in adv.

          • abhishek kamath
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
              Unfortunately none of these ICs are readily available in the market. The USB series seems to be reserved for industrial use only.
              -Abhishek

            • Akshay Aggarwal
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
                well i've tried to do a similar thing. My application was that of a remote ground vehicle. We had used the CMU CAM. It pinched the pocket but was worth it.

                --
                Akshay Aggarwal
                Undergraduate Student