Re: [bookartsconnection] black and white negs of mission, courthouse, pier area, etc.

  • Linda Snook
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
      Hi Milkyway!

      Do I understand correctly that you are looking to trade for black and
      white negatives of Santa Barbara images? What sort of trade goods do
      you deal in?

      Sounds interesting.

      Thanks,
      Linda Snook

      At 05:38 PM 6/30/2004 +0000, you wrote:
      >Hi Group
      > I have been busy here in Cincinnati setting up both my
      >studio/mill, and a web site. I truly miss S.B. and my friends
      >there, but I won't be able to visit until the end of September.
      >Following your posts and I think that the paper workshops which are
      >being offered at Jill's place will be fantastic ! ! !
      > My web site is: http://www.homesteadmill.com/
      >please visit it. I would like feedback, so see what you think.
      >There are sections still being developed, ie. lesson plans, deckle
      >box, and links. When it is completed I would like to have links to
      >some of you sites.
      > Now for the big negative question. We have a darkroom in the
      >basement and would like to work up some Black and White images of
      >the S.B. mission, courthouse, pier area, etc. I am very willing to
      >trade for them. Thank you, Maxine
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Linda Snook
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
        Dear Barry,

        Thank you so much for your professional perspective on digital
        photography: very informative and thoughtful. I'd love to hear
        more on the subject of professional quality digital images,
        best techniques for conversion of "analogue" images to digital,
        as well as countless other issues of which I am not yet aware.

        All the best,
        Linda

      • Barry A. Kintner
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
          Good day -
          -- I'd be happy to post some information - give me an idea of what you might like to know. I've written probably two dozen articles on
          various aspects of the digital world in the past couple of years. But those articles were for an industry group who are not artists. So I
          would break the subject down a bit differently. These articles range from selecting a computer, hardware, software, use, cameras, audio,
          and periferal issues.
          .
          -- The book Jill mentioned sounds very interesting - and is definitely directed at areas of interest to this group. I certainly will take a
          look at it when I get an opportunity.
          .
          -- Maxine's point is well taken. If you already have a darkroom - you get to experience traditional methods. In today's world I cannot
          imagine many people could set up a lab at home, or in any school. I know of insurance companies that will cancel a mortgage insurance
          policy if they find chemicals of any kind beyond household chemicals ( which is puzzling in light of the poisonous and explosive nature of
          some home chemical substances ) - this did happed to me ( my parents ). There was a visit by an insurance agent to the home - one day later
          a certified letter came cancelling the homeowners policy. Today that can cause the mortgage holder to call in the balance of a mortgage,
          leaving one to decide if you want insurance and a home or to keep the items in question. A cancellation of insurance happened a couple of
          months ago within a mile of my home and the owners actually had to leave and sell the property in their situation. Not good.
          -- A bonus for digital photography is the student is able to concentrate on composition and that all important first lesson of filling the
          frame with your subject. And not spending money on film and developing does allow us to look at many more photos than we might take if that
          cost is a factor either personally or in a class. Just don't use that 'delete' button as it is to easy to delete a photo that can teach you
          something.
          -- Kids are pretty much hard-wired for computer use, and getting people to 'see' is the challenge anyway. So the old challenge of getting
          the image you want is a focus of much teaching and not relying of software technique. All the old thoughts of what makes a good photograph
          are still present - no matter the final use.
          -- As for making the transition from 'analoge' to digital - there are many possiblilties. If you have film negatives or positives ( slides
          ) you can choose to have them scanned in professionally at very high resolution ( the studio's scanner scans at 4000 dpi for preparation of
          medium format film negatives to be printed in-house at up to 40" x 60" ) which can make for some extremely large image files. The largest
          in the studio that I am aware of was 900 meg - for one photo. This may not mean anything to you at this stage of learning - but trust
          me - this was large file. Great hardware and software is required to make the best use of it.
          -- If you are an artist / amateur / home user type - there are still a dizzying array of choices. You can get a home scanner of cheap to
          very expensive quality, several different kinds of software that will give you options, and some have hardware options too ( from scanning
          your own photographs, to film and negative scanning, to scanning 3d objects ).
          -- Actually the subject of scanning is an entire discipline in itself. Even inexpensive scanners can produce some very good images - the
          software is a key here - and they do last for a long time when taken care of. They are really simple devices.
          -- The book 'It Starts with a Scan' is a good place to begin. I've had mine for quite some time - and I am not sure if it is available in
          some updated / current version - but it is a good one and oft recommended.
          -- There are numerous sites on the internet with free tutorials too. Use the electronic world to continue the life of beloved handcrafts.
          .
          -- If anyone is interested, please give me some questions, or areas of interest, and I will attempt to answer them here. Remember - no one
          person is a computer expert - some just know more than others - temporarily. It is a field that is ever-changing and progressing. No one
          person will have all the answers you need ( or that I need ) - but I am happy to pass along what I do know - which just never seems to be
          enough.
          .

          Barry Kintner - a2z@... - Phoenix, Arizona
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2004
            I have a question for anyone with experience dealing with preserving
            newspaper articles. I tend to photocopy anything I want to last,
            knowing how quickly newsprint yellows and falls apart. (I have
            plenty of old scrapbook items that fit that description.) However,
            my stepdaughter's fiance proposed to her by printing a "mock"
            engagement announcement on newsprint and inserting it in the Sunday
            paper and she wants to preserve the actual document for posterity.
            She's wondering whether laminating it is the best idea or whether
            there is another technique to maintain the newsprint "feel" without
            risking eventual disintegration. If any of you has a suggestion,
            we'd greatly appreciate it.

            Thanks!

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 3, 2004
              The only way I know of to preserve newsprint is to deacidify it with Wei'to
              or a similar buffering spray - Book Keeper is another one ( I have some so
              unless you have a lot to spray just bring the piece by and we'll de-acidify
              it). Then it should be encapsulated in mylar with archival double sided
              tape keeping the mylar together. Or put it in one of the acid free pages
              Light Impressions sells - which they have at any good photo shop around town
              (the advantage of Light Impressions as well as other conservation suppliers
              is the wealth of information in their catalogues).

              With newsprint, or any other acidic paper, you can never reverse the aging
              from acid attack but you can arrest it with these buffering agents so it is
              good to do something as quickly as possible. The plastic protections are to
              avoid deterioration from handling since newsprint is not a strong paper.

              When you laminate anything you enclose it and trap the acid along with the
              paper - it will continue to decay but the plastic will support it as it
              weakens. It all depends on how conservation minded you want to be -
              conservators consider the best solutions to be reversable so they go for
              de-acidifying and enclosing in a reversable way, which laminating is not.

            • francesj14@cox.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2004
                I am not sure if this works for all news papers as they
                do vary. but I do have newspapers saved from 30 yrs
                ago by simply keeping them in a plastic bag with
                baking soda sprinkled within its pages, and in a trunk.

                They have not yellowed but they seem to be more gray
                but not crumpled or fragile. I think it is because they
                were kept in the dark away from any sunlight. I think no
                sunlight and baking soda powder is the key. The
                baking soda does keeps the acid in control. Of course
                making copies is always as added insurance and a
                good idea.

                I have enjoyed going back and reading the news along
                side the reason I saved the paper and remember how
                things were so different then.

                frances

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 4, 2004
                  I remeber seeing a tip on that book that Pat had published with tips and
                  resources. It involved soaking the newsprint in a solution of water and milk
                  of magenesium, but I can't remeber proportions or times. Anyone? Patrice,
                  are you still here in cyberspace?

                  Ines

                • askengel@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 4, 2004
                    What ever happened to that book that Pat was putting together?
                    I never saw it. Did it ever get finished?
                    Sharon
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 10, 2004
                      Thanks to those of you who responded to my request for ideas for
                      preserving newsprint; I've passed them along to my stepdaughter.