Re: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara Book Festival

  • Tom & Judy Nilsen
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
      Jill,

      So many things are going on in our family right now that I can't even think about September. If it becomes a thing where you need a donation from some of us that can't be there and/or don't have books made to sell, I'd be willing to give some money so the group could have a table. I doubt that I will participate, but let me know if I can help introduce Santa Barbara to the Book Arts Connection.

      I'll talk to you soon and see what you need. Judy
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 25, 2004
        Good day all -
        -- I don't know what overall size the 'table' is - or if there is some space available 'around' the table - And how much time you all have
        to prepare - but ...
        -- I designed several display stands for our calligraphy group over 20 years ago. They were written up in a book arts magazine at the time
        and at least one other group also built them. They were used for several years.
        -- We used them in a 'booth' type situation - where we had one table available and the area around it too. Concrete with an awning.
        -- The display stands are very flexible and are easy and inexpensive to build - or have built.
        -- They are vary easy to set up and take down, lightweight and fold flat so they fit even a tiny vehicle.
        -- Some were for "on table" use to expand the available space upward and others were for "on ground" use and could be built 4ft to 6ft tall
        easily.
        -- If there is anyone interested, post a message and I will see if I can find the drawings. My scanner is finally working again and I would
        post the images on my website for you.
        .
        -- Of course - if it is outdoors, and you have a 'tent' type space, you can make a 'curtain' that is attached between uprights of the tent
        itself. This can add a huge amount of display area out of the sun for very little money.
        -- These stands work well for individuals or for groups - each one build one - and share them between all interested artists.
        .

        Barry Kintner - a2z@... - Phoenix, Arizona
        .
        www.letteringa2z.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
          Hi all,
          I've just returned from the spectacular Canadian Rockies and am
          trying to catch up on correspondence. I'm glad there is interest in
          the BAC having a booth at the Book and Author Fest and I will be
          happy to pitch in my $25. I'd offered to bring one of our small hand
          presses, but I'll wait to see whether there is room for it and/or
          whether it's appropriate. Unfortunately my schedule for Sept. is
          uncertain, but I'll try to be there to help out any way I can. I
          think we have some flexibility within the space - tables at right
          angles; one in front, one behind; or display boards and racks. It
          will depend on who's bringing what to show and/or sell. I recall
          that Sally Timlin mentioned a booth for kids to make books - maybe we
          could be located next to that and/or work with Art from Scrap to have
          materials for simple projects??

          We probably need to have a meeting of all who are participating
          sometime this summer to plan our space needs and schedule and decide
          what kind of signage and info we need to create.