Re: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara Book Festival

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
      I think a minimum commitment is to do either the morning or the afternoon
      and work it out with whoever is "the group" wether you leave your books to
      be sold/shown by others or have them up only when you are there. Once we
      have a few people interested we can chat and work these things out without
      using the bookartsconnection yahoo group.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
        Jill,

        So many things are going on in our family right now that I can't even think about September. If it becomes a thing where you need a donation from some of us that can't be there and/or don't have books made to sell, I'd be willing to give some money so the group could have a table. I doubt that I will participate, but let me know if I can help introduce Santa Barbara to the Book Arts Connection.

        I'll talk to you soon and see what you need. Judy
        I have been in touch with Susan Gulbransen who is organizing the SB Book Festival this year, as she did last year. As it turns out, Art From Scrap will be setting up a table oriented toward families and children. As far as I can tell, they get the table for free in return for such great community service. Which leaves us with the option of buying a table for $200. The up side is we can sell our work and we can demonstrate book arts or not as the mood strikes us. The down side is obvious: $200.

        What I propose is this: if we can get 8 people to go in together then it is only $25 each. It is great exposure and will be a fun day. Hopefully each person will sell at least $25 of cards, books, zines, broadsides, etc.in the day.

        Knowing how hard it is to organize this group (its like herding cats) I would like to know who is interested and how firmly they will commit. Will you go in if it is only 6 people and therefore cost more? Can you stand to be in close quarters for a day? (We wouldn't all have to be there all the time but obviously sales are made more readily by the artist who is present).

        Nornally I would say write me offline but I think hearing the chat on this would be good community building. If you keep the above subject and just hit "reply" anyone not interested can delete easily.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Barry A. Kintner
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 25, 2004
          Good day all -
          -- I don't know what overall size the 'table' is - or if there is some space available 'around' the table - And how much time you all have
          to prepare - but ...
          -- I designed several display stands for our calligraphy group over 20 years ago. They were written up in a book arts magazine at the time
          and at least one other group also built them. They were used for several years.
          -- We used them in a 'booth' type situation - where we had one table available and the area around it too. Concrete with an awning.
          -- The display stands are very flexible and are easy and inexpensive to build - or have built.
          -- They are vary easy to set up and take down, lightweight and fold flat so they fit even a tiny vehicle.
          -- Some were for "on table" use to expand the available space upward and others were for "on ground" use and could be built 4ft to 6ft tall
          easily.
          -- If there is anyone interested, post a message and I will see if I can find the drawings. My scanner is finally working again and I would
          post the images on my website for you.
          .
          -- Of course - if it is outdoors, and you have a 'tent' type space, you can make a 'curtain' that is attached between uprights of the tent
          itself. This can add a huge amount of display area out of the sun for very little money.
          -- These stands work well for individuals or for groups - each one build one - and share them between all interested artists.
          .

          Barry Kintner - a2z@... - Phoenix, Arizona
          .
          www.letteringa2z.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
            Hi all,
            I've just returned from the spectacular Canadian Rockies and am
            trying to catch up on correspondence. I'm glad there is interest in
            the BAC having a booth at the Book and Author Fest and I will be
            happy to pitch in my $25. I'd offered to bring one of our small hand
            presses, but I'll wait to see whether there is room for it and/or
            whether it's appropriate. Unfortunately my schedule for Sept. is
            uncertain, but I'll try to be there to help out any way I can. I
            think we have some flexibility within the space - tables at right
            angles; one in front, one behind; or display boards and racks. It
            will depend on who's bringing what to show and/or sell. I recall
            that Sally Timlin mentioned a booth for kids to make books - maybe we
            could be located next to that and/or work with Art from Scrap to have
            materials for simple projects??

            We probably need to have a meeting of all who are participating
            sometime this summer to plan our space needs and schedule and decide
            what kind of signage and info we need to create.