I'd Like to Thank Everyone at the April Demo

  • artboox
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2002
      I know it was hard to be inside Saturday, but we were treated to a
      lovely & bright setting at Virginia's. You all were so generous &
      patient with me and I appreciate the enthusiasm everyone brought with
      them, especially our five new members! I can't believe how much we
      did, and all before 3:30pm!
      Some of you said, "I'm not an artist but I'd like to be", well I can
      tell you, you are! I took my own sweet time emerging into the term,
      but no other is versatile enough to suit my creative outlets. (So go
      ahead and own it when you're ready, my friends!) I feel as though you
      all guided me through the demonstration, and I was in very capable
      hands! The art of exchange was in fine form! Thank you for being a
      fun and talented group with great humor!

      See you all at future gatherings, I hope!

      With Deep Gratitude,
      Lisa (Aka. artboox)
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22, 2002
        Saturday's demo of the "interstate" or slot and tab binding was
        really fun. Lisa Moore did a wonderful job of helping us understand
        the technique and had lots of good examples to inspire us. In
        addition, several people had interesting materials to share. Our
        monthly meetings are always filled with good information and good
        humor - a winning combination. I encourage all of you in the SB area
        who receive these messages to make the effort to join the group on
        the 3rd Saturday of the month whenever you can, as it is always fun
        and enlightening. If you have a book arts technique or resources to
        share, so much the better!

        Don't forget the So Called Books exhibit at Jill Littlewood's studio
        is Memorial Day weekend. A call for entries was sent out on this
        list 3/30; entries may be delivered at the May 18 book arts
        connection group meeting. Stay tuned for plans for that meeting -
        Lisa Moore has some good ideas for it if no one steps up to teach a
        specific technique.

        Thanks again, Lisa, for the instruction - and thanks to Virginia
        Gardner for opening her lovely home to us.

      • askengel@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2002
          Hi Everyone,
          Something came up for me at the last minute on Saturday, so I missed the
          meeting. I was so interested in seeing/learning the "Interstate" binding that
          everyone was talking about. Is there a book somewhere with the instructions
          that I might get? Or, is anyone willing to bring the one they did to the
          next
          meeting in May? I'd love to see everyone's book done with so many different
          paper samples. Guess Jill missed also, and might be interested in seeing all
          your books.
          This is a fun group.

          Sharon Engel
          Ojai
        • artboox
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23, 2002
            >Is there a book somewhere with the instructions that I might get?
            Or, is anyone willing to bring the one they did to the next meeting
            in May? I'd love to see everyone's book done with so many different
            paper samples.

            I'm sorry we missed you Sat. Sharon. The version I demonstrated is
            not recorded in any book I know of, but there are 2 books with
            independently devised bindings which are similar to it. They are:
            Creating Handmade Books, by Alisa J. Golden (This version is called
            Slot & Tab), and The Art and Craft of Handmade Books, by Shereen
            LaPlantz (called the Interstate Highway book). I would look at the
            instructions in both very carefully. I actually don't feel I could
            have figured it out from the descriptions if I hadn't learned the
            technically different version originally by John Wood.

            Good luck,
            Lisa