hello from China...

  • Patrice Baldwin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2004
      Y'all:

      It's a cold but sunny day here. My silk long-johns have been useful.
      Baoding is a pretty big city... busy with walkers, bike riders,
      pedicabs and wild drivers. The campus of Hebei University is very
      large and there is a new campus across town as well. Students have
      started classes this week, but mine won't begin until next Monday.

      I'm going with a friend to Anchin this weekend to teach English to
      high schoolers. Should be fun. I've had some wonderful food. Not sure
      what some of it is, but it tasted good, so I didn't ask. I've
      probably eaten some of the strangest vegetables, but it's better to
      ask AFTER eating.

      Teachers here are treated very politely and offered all kinds of
      help. One just has to know how to ask for it!

      I'll keep you posted when my classes begin.

      Miss you all,

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2004
        Hello, Pat. Lovely to hear from you, and glad things are good there. What
        kind of art is China making now? I am really interested in finding out how
        the chinese (i know. they are so many and so varied, that probably there is
        no such thing as "chinese", but....) have moved from the pre-mao emphasis on
        tradition, to communist devaluation of anything but revolution art, to the
        recent development of capitalism. if you get any insight, pass it along.