Re: [bookartsconnection] Gutenberg Bibles online

  • francesj14@cox.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2003
      Hi Jill:

      Thank you for all the fine touches you send in the
      e-mail. I was one of those fortunate enough to have
      visited the Gutenburg Museum in Mainz, Germany. The
      Texas project site visit brought back many fine
      memories. In my mind, I could almost visit each of the
      three floors of presses, books, blocks, type casting
      demo and the chinese room of type and printing
      samples.

      The book store next door sold samples of type by the
      each. Makes you appreciate your collections of type.
      They also had an American woman's hand made book
      created there available for sale, and I bought it. It had
      photographs of type printed on the body telling a story of
      the trials of printing up a book. Nice.

      And next door to that was a hands on print shop with
      Korrex and Chalenge presses where you can print up
      your own 11x17 or 8x12 posters for a 30 franks. The
      small Korrex press was a wonder at 1/4 size of the
      Vandercook made in Switerland.

      I have to admit I searched for another Korrex press, and
      could not find one while I was there. When I came
      home I found the company on the internet and I
      contacted them. They made it back in the 1800's, and
      are still in business making modern presses, but they
      don't know if any of the old ones are still available.

      hand made books fan
      frances

      > From: "Jill Littlewood" <jill@...>
      > Date: 2003/12/08 Mon PM 01:34:06 EST