Gutenberg Bibles online

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2003
      University of Texas at Austin Puts Gutenberg Bible Online
      The University of Texas at Austin has scanned in its Gutenberg Bible, making thousands of images available from its Web site at http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/permanent/gutenberg/ .

      Before you get into the page images, take the time to view a few other images on this site, including "The Book before Gutenberg" and "Anatomy of a Page" (apparently even monks scribble in margins.) An "Additional Resources" page gives a brief bibliography of materials related to Gutenberg Bibles and points to Web sites which contain other digitizations of Gutenberg Bibles.

      The Gutenberg Bible itself is available under the Digital Gutenberg Images link. From this link you'll see links to the first part of the Bible, with a pulldown menu leading to other sections (they're broken down by books.) Images are presented in a series of thumbnails, two pages at a time. Click on the thumbnail and you'll get a larger version of the page with the option to get a larger left page, right page, or a larger image of both pages.

      November 22, 1900
      Gutenberg Bible Now Online
      The BBC is reporting that the Gutenberg Bible -- two copies of it, in fact -- have been successfully digitized and are now online. These bibles are from the 15th century and not many of them are still left.

      The British Library site containing the bibles is at http://prodigi.bl.uk/gutenbg/ default.asp" . The paper copy starts at http://prodigi.bl.uk/gutenbg/record.asp?strCopy=k&strPage=1r1&strSize=mid . The vellum copy starts at http://prodigi.bl.uk/gutenbg/record.asp?strCopy=g&strPage=-2r1&strSize=m id .

      You can search through the Bibles, or simply go through the pages. Looks like each page is about 70-80K. Clicking on a page gives you a large copy -- I suspect larger than actual size. The pages I loaded weighed in around 1MB. (pages from the paper Bible seemed to be larger than the vellum Bible.)

      Searching the Bibles is not a matter of searching for keywords. Instead, you choose a part of the Bibles (you can choose to search the paper version, vellum version, or both) and you're presented with a page of thumbnails. You may click on one of those pages and you'll be taken to that page. The thumbnails are not large enough to make out any detail, unfortunately.

    • francesj14@cox.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2003
        Hi Jill:

        Thank you for all the fine touches you send in the
        e-mail. I was one of those fortunate enough to have
        visited the Gutenburg Museum in Mainz, Germany. The
        Texas project site visit brought back many fine
        memories. In my mind, I could almost visit each of the
        three floors of presses, books, blocks, type casting
        demo and the chinese room of type and printing
        samples.

        The book store next door sold samples of type by the
        each. Makes you appreciate your collections of type.
        They also had an American woman's hand made book
        created there available for sale, and I bought it. It had
        photographs of type printed on the body telling a story of
        the trials of printing up a book. Nice.

        And next door to that was a hands on print shop with
        Korrex and Chalenge presses where you can print up
        your own 11x17 or 8x12 posters for a 30 franks. The
        small Korrex press was a wonder at 1/4 size of the
        Vandercook made in Switerland.

        I have to admit I searched for another Korrex press, and
        could not find one while I was there. When I came
        home I found the company on the internet and I
        contacted them. They made it back in the 1800's, and
        are still in business making modern presses, but they
        don't know if any of the old ones are still available.

        hand made books fan
        frances

        > From: "Jill Littlewood" <jill@...>
        > Date: 2003/12/08 Mon PM 01:34:06 EST