Santa Barbara Book Festival

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
      Saturday I went to the book festival and it seemed very professional and well put together. If we want to have a booth there next year I know we would have interested visitors all day long. I especially like the idea that we get a tabletop press and let people print their own card when they come over and visit us. Something like that has great eye appeal and would get casual wanders over to give us a closer look. It would be great to expose both vendors and visitors to what we think of as a book - plus we would have fun and we might attract a few new afficionados.

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
        Sorry I didn't see any of you at the Book Fair. . . I took my mom and
        we walked around the whole event but didn't attend any of the panels.
        I was disappointed that there wasn't any interactive exhibit (Art
        from Scrap was there last year) and I agree that a booth with
        examples of book arts and an activity could be a real attention
        grabber. We have two small handpresses which we haven't really done
        anything with yet, so I don't know how well they work but I'll be
        happy to work on it and to bring one if we decide to do this next
        year. We could also give people the opportunity to do some simple
        accordian or starburst books to take home.

      • Sara Norquay
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 25, 2003
          Hey Pam,

          Thanks for your ideas and offer of presses. Jill and I have been talking
          about what we can do next year.

          Anyone else got any ideas? Maybe we can get a Book Fair committee together.

          Sara

          >From: Pam Maines <pam@...>
          >To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara Book Festival
          >Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:31:09 -0700
          >
          >Sorry I didn't see any of you at the Book Fair. . . I took my mom and
          >we walked around the whole event but didn't attend any of the panels.
          >I was disappointed that there wasn't any interactive exhibit (Art
          >from Scrap was there last year) and I agree that a booth with
          >examples of book arts and an activity could be a real attention
          >grabber. We have two small handpresses which we haven't really done
          >anything with yet, so I don't know how well they work but I'll be
          >happy to work on it and to bring one if we decide to do this next
          >year. We could also give people the opportunity to do some simple
          >accordian or starburst books to take home.
          >
          >Pam Maines
          >--

          Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments. Get Hotmail
          Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 16, 2004
            Hi everyone,

            I have been in touch with Susan Gulbransen who is organizing the SB Book Festival this year, as she did last year. As it turns out, Art From Scrap will be setting up a table oriented toward families and children. As far as I can tell, they get the table for free in return for such great community service. Which leaves us with the option of buying a table for $200. The up side is we can sell our work and we can demonstrate book arts or not as the mood strikes us. The down side is obvious: $200.

            What I propose is this: if we can get 8 people to go in together then it is only $25 each. It is great exposure and will be a fun day. Hopefully each person will sell at least $25 of cards, books, zines, broadsides, etc.in the day.

            Knowing how hard it is to organize this group (its like herding cats) I would like to know who is interested and how firmly they will commit. Will you go in if it is only 6 people and therefore cost more? Can you stand to be in close quarters for a day? (We wouldn't all have to be there all the time but obviously sales are made more readily by the artist who is present).

            Nornally I would say write me offline but I think hearing the chat on this would be good community building. If you keep the above subject and just hit "reply" anyone not interested can delete easily.

          • Sara Norquay
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
              Count me in if there's enough people to keep the cost down.

              Sara

              >From: "Jill Littlewood" <jill@...>
              >To: <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara Book Festival
              >Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:21:20 -0700
              >
              >Hi everyone,
              >
              >I have been in touch with Susan Gulbransen who is organizing the SB Book
              Festival this year, as she did last year. As it turns out, Art From Scrap
              will be setting up a table oriented toward families and children. As far as
              I can tell, they get the table for free in return for such great community
              service. Which leaves us with the option of buying a table for $200. The
              up side is we can sell our work and we can demonstrate book arts or not as
              the mood strikes us. The down side is obvious: $200.

              >What I propose is this: if we can get 8 people to go in together then it
              is only $25 each. It is great exposure and will be a fun day. Hopefully
              each person will sell at least $25 of cards, books, zines, broadsides,
              etc.in the day.

              >Knowing how hard it is to organize this group (its like herding cats) I
              would like to know who is interested and how firmly they will commit. Will
              you go in if it is only 6 people and therefore cost more? Can you stand to
              be in close quarters for a day? (We wouldn't all have to be there all the
              time but obviously sales are made more readily by the artist who is
              present).

              >Nornally I would say write me offline but I think hearing the chat on
              this would be good community building. If you keep the above subject and
              just hit "reply" anyone not interested can delete easily.

              >Jill Littlewood

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN
              House & Home. http://coldwellbanker.msn.com/
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                I am interested regardless of how many people sign on. How many hours would
                we need to commit to? (as always, it's the time that is a problem for me.)

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                  I think a minimum commitment is to do either the morning or the afternoon
                  and work it out with whoever is "the group" wether you leave your books to
                  be sold/shown by others or have them up only when you are there. Once we
                  have a few people interested we can chat and work these things out without
                  using the bookartsconnection yahoo group.

                  > I am interested regardless of how many people sign on. How many hours
                  would
                  > we need to commit to? (as always, it's the time that is a problem for me.)
                  >
                  > ines

                • Tom & Judy Nilsen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                    Jill,

                    So many things are going on in our family right now that I can't even think about September. If it becomes a thing where you need a donation from some of us that can't be there and/or don't have books made to sell, I'd be willing to give some money so the group could have a table. I doubt that I will participate, but let me know if I can help introduce Santa Barbara to the Book Arts Connection.

                    I'll talk to you soon and see what you need. Judy
[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Barry A. Kintner
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 25, 2004
                      Good day all -
                      -- I don't know what overall size the 'table' is - or if there is some space available 'around' the table - And how much time you all have
                      to prepare - but ...
                      -- I designed several display stands for our calligraphy group over 20 years ago. They were written up in a book arts magazine at the time
                      and at least one other group also built them. They were used for several years.
                      -- We used them in a 'booth' type situation - where we had one table available and the area around it too. Concrete with an awning.
                      -- The display stands are very flexible and are easy and inexpensive to build - or have built.
                      -- They are vary easy to set up and take down, lightweight and fold flat so they fit even a tiny vehicle.
                      -- Some were for "on table" use to expand the available space upward and others were for "on ground" use and could be built 4ft to 6ft tall
                      easily.
                      -- If there is anyone interested, post a message and I will see if I can find the drawings. My scanner is finally working again and I would
                      post the images on my website for you.
                      .
                      -- Of course - if it is outdoors, and you have a 'tent' type space, you can make a 'curtain' that is attached between uprights of the tent
                      itself. This can add a huge amount of display area out of the sun for very little money.
                      -- These stands work well for individuals or for groups - each one build one - and share them between all interested artists.
                      .

                      Barry Kintner - a2z@... - Phoenix, Arizona
                      .
                      www.letteringa2z.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
                        Hi all,
                        I've just returned from the spectacular Canadian Rockies and am
                        trying to catch up on correspondence. I'm glad there is interest in
                        the BAC having a booth at the Book and Author Fest and I will be
                        happy to pitch in my $25. I'd offered to bring one of our small hand
                        presses, but I'll wait to see whether there is room for it and/or
                        whether it's appropriate. Unfortunately my schedule for Sept. is
                        uncertain, but I'll try to be there to help out any way I can. I
                        think we have some flexibility within the space - tables at right
                        angles; one in front, one behind; or display boards and racks. It
                        will depend on who's bringing what to show and/or sell. I recall
                        that Sally Timlin mentioned a booth for kids to make books - maybe we
                        could be located next to that and/or work with Art from Scrap to have
                        materials for simple projects??

                        We probably need to have a meeting of all who are participating
                        sometime this summer to plan our space needs and schedule and decide
                        what kind of signage and info we need to create.