Re: Re: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara Book Festival

  • francesj14@cox.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
      > This does sound like a great idea. I have not met any
      of you except the teacher at city college printing class. I
      have some hand made books also. If I knew we were
      to have a shared booth / costs. I can plan on making a
      small edition to sell.
      Frances
      > From: "Sara Norquay" <norquay@...>
      > Date: 2003/09/08 Mon AM 11:29:35 EDT
      > To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara
      Book Festival

    • Patrice Baldwin
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
        That's the spirit, Frances. We'll wow'em next year! I'd like to hear
        everyone's opinion of the whole affair after Saturday. What's it like?
        Do you think we can make them sit up and take notice? Any info on
        costs? Ask other participants who've done it before what their
        opinions are.

        Patrice

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 14, 2003
          I think Susan will be too distracted to look at any samples of our work. I
          would like to arrange a time to talk to her after the smoke clears on the
          Festival and she has had a chance to rest. When she apologized for not
          returning my email sooner she said she had been overwhelmed by all the work
          involved in organizing the Festival. Book arts was a new idea altogether so
          for it to get a just viewing I think we should wait and approach her later.

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
            Saturday I went to the book festival and it seemed very professional and well put together. If we want to have a booth there next year I know we would have interested visitors all day long. I especially like the idea that we get a tabletop press and let people print their own card when they come over and visit us. Something like that has great eye appeal and would get casual wanders over to give us a closer look. It would be great to expose both vendors and visitors to what we think of as a book - plus we would have fun and we might attract a few new afficionados.

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
              Sorry I didn't see any of you at the Book Fair. . . I took my mom and
              we walked around the whole event but didn't attend any of the panels.
              I was disappointed that there wasn't any interactive exhibit (Art
              from Scrap was there last year) and I agree that a booth with
              examples of book arts and an activity could be a real attention
              grabber. We have two small handpresses which we haven't really done
              anything with yet, so I don't know how well they work but I'll be
              happy to work on it and to bring one if we decide to do this next
              year. We could also give people the opportunity to do some simple
              accordian or starburst books to take home.

            • Sara Norquay
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 25, 2003
                Hey Pam,

                Thanks for your ideas and offer of presses. Jill and I have been talking
                about what we can do next year.

                Anyone else got any ideas? Maybe we can get a Book Fair committee together.

                Sara

                >From: Pam Maines <pam@...>
                >To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara Book Festival
                >Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:31:09 -0700
                >
                >Sorry I didn't see any of you at the Book Fair. . . I took my mom and
                >we walked around the whole event but didn't attend any of the panels.
                >I was disappointed that there wasn't any interactive exhibit (Art
                >from Scrap was there last year) and I agree that a booth with
                >examples of book arts and an activity could be a real attention
                >grabber. We have two small handpresses which we haven't really done
                >anything with yet, so I don't know how well they work but I'll be
                >happy to work on it and to bring one if we decide to do this next
                >year. We could also give people the opportunity to do some simple
                >accordian or starburst books to take home.
                >
                >Pam Maines
                >--

                Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments. Get Hotmail
                Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 16, 2004
                  Hi everyone,

                  I have been in touch with Susan Gulbransen who is organizing the SB Book Festival this year, as she did last year. As it turns out, Art From Scrap will be setting up a table oriented toward families and children. As far as I can tell, they get the table for free in return for such great community service. Which leaves us with the option of buying a table for $200. The up side is we can sell our work and we can demonstrate book arts or not as the mood strikes us. The down side is obvious: $200.

                  What I propose is this: if we can get 8 people to go in together then it is only $25 each. It is great exposure and will be a fun day. Hopefully each person will sell at least $25 of cards, books, zines, broadsides, etc.in the day.

                  Knowing how hard it is to organize this group (its like herding cats) I would like to know who is interested and how firmly they will commit. Will you go in if it is only 6 people and therefore cost more? Can you stand to be in close quarters for a day? (We wouldn't all have to be there all the time but obviously sales are made more readily by the artist who is present).

                  Nornally I would say write me offline but I think hearing the chat on this would be good community building. If you keep the above subject and just hit "reply" anyone not interested can delete easily.

                • Sara Norquay
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                    Count me in if there's enough people to keep the cost down.

                    Sara

                    >From: "Jill Littlewood" <jill@...>
                    >To: <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara Book Festival
                    >Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:21:20 -0700
                    >
                    >Hi everyone,
                    >
                    >I have been in touch with Susan Gulbransen who is organizing the SB Book
                    Festival this year, as she did last year. As it turns out, Art From Scrap
                    will be setting up a table oriented toward families and children. As far as
                    I can tell, they get the table for free in return for such great community
                    service. Which leaves us with the option of buying a table for $200. The
                    up side is we can sell our work and we can demonstrate book arts or not as
                    the mood strikes us. The down side is obvious: $200.

                    >What I propose is this: if we can get 8 people to go in together then it
                    is only $25 each. It is great exposure and will be a fun day. Hopefully
                    each person will sell at least $25 of cards, books, zines, broadsides,
                    etc.in the day.

                    >Knowing how hard it is to organize this group (its like herding cats) I
                    would like to know who is interested and how firmly they will commit. Will
                    you go in if it is only 6 people and therefore cost more? Can you stand to
                    be in close quarters for a day? (We wouldn't all have to be there all the
                    time but obviously sales are made more readily by the artist who is
                    present).

                    >Nornally I would say write me offline but I think hearing the chat on
                    this would be good community building. If you keep the above subject and
                    just hit "reply" anyone not interested can delete easily.

                    >Jill Littlewood

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN
                    House & Home. http://coldwellbanker.msn.com/
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                      I am interested regardless of how many people sign on. How many hours would
                      we need to commit to? (as always, it's the time that is a problem for me.)

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                        I think a minimum commitment is to do either the morning or the afternoon
                        and work it out with whoever is "the group" wether you leave your books to
                        be sold/shown by others or have them up only when you are there. Once we
                        have a few people interested we can chat and work these things out without
                        using the bookartsconnection yahoo group.

                        > I am interested regardless of how many people sign on. How many hours
                        would
                        > we need to commit to? (as always, it's the time that is a problem for me.)
                        >
                        > ines

                      • Tom & Judy Nilsen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                          Jill,

                          So many things are going on in our family right now that I can't even think about September. If it becomes a thing where you need a donation from some of us that can't be there and/or don't have books made to sell, I'd be willing to give some money so the group could have a table. I doubt that I will participate, but let me know if I can help introduce Santa Barbara to the Book Arts Connection.

                          I'll talk to you soon and see what you need. Judy
[...]

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Barry A. Kintner
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 25, 2004
                            Good day all -
                            -- I don't know what overall size the 'table' is - or if there is some space available 'around' the table - And how much time you all have
                            to prepare - but ...
                            -- I designed several display stands for our calligraphy group over 20 years ago. They were written up in a book arts magazine at the time
                            and at least one other group also built them. They were used for several years.
                            -- We used them in a 'booth' type situation - where we had one table available and the area around it too. Concrete with an awning.
                            -- The display stands are very flexible and are easy and inexpensive to build - or have built.
                            -- They are vary easy to set up and take down, lightweight and fold flat so they fit even a tiny vehicle.
                            -- Some were for "on table" use to expand the available space upward and others were for "on ground" use and could be built 4ft to 6ft tall
                            easily.
                            -- If there is anyone interested, post a message and I will see if I can find the drawings. My scanner is finally working again and I would
                            post the images on my website for you.
                            .
                            -- Of course - if it is outdoors, and you have a 'tent' type space, you can make a 'curtain' that is attached between uprights of the tent
                            itself. This can add a huge amount of display area out of the sun for very little money.
                            -- These stands work well for individuals or for groups - each one build one - and share them between all interested artists.
                            .

                            Barry Kintner - a2z@... - Phoenix, Arizona
                            .
                            www.letteringa2z.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
                              Hi all,
                              I've just returned from the spectacular Canadian Rockies and am
                              trying to catch up on correspondence. I'm glad there is interest in
                              the BAC having a booth at the Book and Author Fest and I will be
                              happy to pitch in my $25. I'd offered to bring one of our small hand
                              presses, but I'll wait to see whether there is room for it and/or
                              whether it's appropriate. Unfortunately my schedule for Sept. is
                              uncertain, but I'll try to be there to help out any way I can. I
                              think we have some flexibility within the space - tables at right
                              angles; one in front, one behind; or display boards and racks. It
                              will depend on who's bringing what to show and/or sell. I recall
                              that Sally Timlin mentioned a booth for kids to make books - maybe we
                              could be located next to that and/or work with Art from Scrap to have
                              materials for simple projects??

                              We probably need to have a meeting of all who are participating
                              sometime this summer to plan our space needs and schedule and decide
                              what kind of signage and info we need to create.