Santa Barbara Book Festival

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
      Susan Gulbransen, who is organizing the Festival, would love to include us next year. We could show our work and do some teaching. I will be there on the 20th to see how everything is set up so we can envision how we might participate in 2004. Look for me so we can join forces and brainstorm.

    • Sara Norquay
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
        I'll be there also, Jill. Should we bring some sample books? Or is this just
        to check out the event and plan how we might be involved next year?
        Sara

        >From: "Jill Littlewood" <jill@...>
        >To: <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara Book Festival
        >Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:04:52 -0700
        >
        >Susan Gulbransen, who is organizing the Festival, would love to include us
        >next year. We could show our work and do some teaching. I will be there
        >on the 20th to see how everything is set up so we can envision how we might
        >participate in 2004. Look for me so we can join forces and brainstorm.
        >

        >Jill

        Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
          Since the book group will be well represented, i would like to beg off next
          saturday's meeting. I did not get as much work done last weekend as i should
          have. (went in studio to do "a little art" before hunkering down to
          reports.... and of course got sucked in. should know better.

        • francesj14@cox.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
            > This does sound like a great idea. I have not met any
            of you except the teacher at city college printing class. I
            have some hand made books also. If I knew we were
            to have a shared booth / costs. I can plan on making a
            small edition to sell.
            Frances
            > From: "Sara Norquay" <norquay@...>
            > Date: 2003/09/08 Mon AM 11:29:35 EDT
            > To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara
            Book Festival

          • Patrice Baldwin
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
              That's the spirit, Frances. We'll wow'em next year! I'd like to hear
              everyone's opinion of the whole affair after Saturday. What's it like?
              Do you think we can make them sit up and take notice? Any info on
              costs? Ask other participants who've done it before what their
              opinions are.

              Patrice

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 14, 2003
                I think Susan will be too distracted to look at any samples of our work. I
                would like to arrange a time to talk to her after the smoke clears on the
                Festival and she has had a chance to rest. When she apologized for not
                returning my email sooner she said she had been overwhelmed by all the work
                involved in organizing the Festival. Book arts was a new idea altogether so
                for it to get a just viewing I think we should wait and approach her later.

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
                  Saturday I went to the book festival and it seemed very professional and well put together. If we want to have a booth there next year I know we would have interested visitors all day long. I especially like the idea that we get a tabletop press and let people print their own card when they come over and visit us. Something like that has great eye appeal and would get casual wanders over to give us a closer look. It would be great to expose both vendors and visitors to what we think of as a book - plus we would have fun and we might attract a few new afficionados.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
                    Sorry I didn't see any of you at the Book Fair. . . I took my mom and
                    we walked around the whole event but didn't attend any of the panels.
                    I was disappointed that there wasn't any interactive exhibit (Art
                    from Scrap was there last year) and I agree that a booth with
                    examples of book arts and an activity could be a real attention
                    grabber. We have two small handpresses which we haven't really done
                    anything with yet, so I don't know how well they work but I'll be
                    happy to work on it and to bring one if we decide to do this next
                    year. We could also give people the opportunity to do some simple
                    accordian or starburst books to take home.

                  • Sara Norquay
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 25, 2003
                      Hey Pam,

                      Thanks for your ideas and offer of presses. Jill and I have been talking
                      about what we can do next year.

                      Anyone else got any ideas? Maybe we can get a Book Fair committee together.

                      Sara

                      >From: Pam Maines <pam@...>
                      >To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara Book Festival
                      >Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:31:09 -0700
                      >
                      >Sorry I didn't see any of you at the Book Fair. . . I took my mom and
                      >we walked around the whole event but didn't attend any of the panels.
                      >I was disappointed that there wasn't any interactive exhibit (Art
                      >from Scrap was there last year) and I agree that a booth with
                      >examples of book arts and an activity could be a real attention
                      >grabber. We have two small handpresses which we haven't really done
                      >anything with yet, so I don't know how well they work but I'll be
                      >happy to work on it and to bring one if we decide to do this next
                      >year. We could also give people the opportunity to do some simple
                      >accordian or starburst books to take home.
                      >
                      >Pam Maines
                      >--

                      Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments. Get Hotmail
                      Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 16, 2004
                        Hi everyone,

                        I have been in touch with Susan Gulbransen who is organizing the SB Book Festival this year, as she did last year. As it turns out, Art From Scrap will be setting up a table oriented toward families and children. As far as I can tell, they get the table for free in return for such great community service. Which leaves us with the option of buying a table for $200. The up side is we can sell our work and we can demonstrate book arts or not as the mood strikes us. The down side is obvious: $200.

                        What I propose is this: if we can get 8 people to go in together then it is only $25 each. It is great exposure and will be a fun day. Hopefully each person will sell at least $25 of cards, books, zines, broadsides, etc.in the day.

                        Knowing how hard it is to organize this group (its like herding cats) I would like to know who is interested and how firmly they will commit. Will you go in if it is only 6 people and therefore cost more? Can you stand to be in close quarters for a day? (We wouldn't all have to be there all the time but obviously sales are made more readily by the artist who is present).

                        Nornally I would say write me offline but I think hearing the chat on this would be good community building. If you keep the above subject and just hit "reply" anyone not interested can delete easily.

                      • Sara Norquay
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                          Count me in if there's enough people to keep the cost down.

                          Sara

                          >From: "Jill Littlewood" <jill@...>
                          >To: <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
                          >Subject: [bookartsconnection] Santa Barbara Book Festival
                          >Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:21:20 -0700
                          >
                          >Hi everyone,
                          >
                          >I have been in touch with Susan Gulbransen who is organizing the SB Book
                          Festival this year, as she did last year. As it turns out, Art From Scrap
                          will be setting up a table oriented toward families and children. As far as
                          I can tell, they get the table for free in return for such great community
                          service. Which leaves us with the option of buying a table for $200. The
                          up side is we can sell our work and we can demonstrate book arts or not as
                          the mood strikes us. The down side is obvious: $200.

                          >What I propose is this: if we can get 8 people to go in together then it
                          is only $25 each. It is great exposure and will be a fun day. Hopefully
                          each person will sell at least $25 of cards, books, zines, broadsides,
                          etc.in the day.

                          >Knowing how hard it is to organize this group (its like herding cats) I
                          would like to know who is interested and how firmly they will commit. Will
                          you go in if it is only 6 people and therefore cost more? Can you stand to
                          be in close quarters for a day? (We wouldn't all have to be there all the
                          time but obviously sales are made more readily by the artist who is
                          present).

                          >Nornally I would say write me offline but I think hearing the chat on
                          this would be good community building. If you keep the above subject and
                          just hit "reply" anyone not interested can delete easily.

                          >Jill Littlewood

                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN
                          House & Home. http://coldwellbanker.msn.com/
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                            I am interested regardless of how many people sign on. How many hours would
                            we need to commit to? (as always, it's the time that is a problem for me.)

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                              I think a minimum commitment is to do either the morning or the afternoon
                              and work it out with whoever is "the group" wether you leave your books to
                              be sold/shown by others or have them up only when you are there. Once we
                              have a few people interested we can chat and work these things out without
                              using the bookartsconnection yahoo group.

                              > I am interested regardless of how many people sign on. How many hours
                              would
                              > we need to commit to? (as always, it's the time that is a problem for me.)
                              >
                              > ines

                            • Tom & Judy Nilsen
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                                Jill,

                                So many things are going on in our family right now that I can't even think about September. If it becomes a thing where you need a donation from some of us that can't be there and/or don't have books made to sell, I'd be willing to give some money so the group could have a table. I doubt that I will participate, but let me know if I can help introduce Santa Barbara to the Book Arts Connection.

                                I'll talk to you soon and see what you need. Judy
[...]

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • Barry A. Kintner
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 25, 2004
                                  Good day all -
                                  -- I don't know what overall size the 'table' is - or if there is some space available 'around' the table - And how much time you all have
                                  to prepare - but ...
                                  -- I designed several display stands for our calligraphy group over 20 years ago. They were written up in a book arts magazine at the time
                                  and at least one other group also built them. They were used for several years.
                                  -- We used them in a 'booth' type situation - where we had one table available and the area around it too. Concrete with an awning.
                                  -- The display stands are very flexible and are easy and inexpensive to build - or have built.
                                  -- They are vary easy to set up and take down, lightweight and fold flat so they fit even a tiny vehicle.
                                  -- Some were for "on table" use to expand the available space upward and others were for "on ground" use and could be built 4ft to 6ft tall
                                  easily.
                                  -- If there is anyone interested, post a message and I will see if I can find the drawings. My scanner is finally working again and I would
                                  post the images on my website for you.
                                  .
                                  -- Of course - if it is outdoors, and you have a 'tent' type space, you can make a 'curtain' that is attached between uprights of the tent
                                  itself. This can add a huge amount of display area out of the sun for very little money.
                                  -- These stands work well for individuals or for groups - each one build one - and share them between all interested artists.
                                  .

                                  Barry Kintner - a2z@... - Phoenix, Arizona
                                  .
                                  www.letteringa2z.com
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
                                    Hi all,
                                    I've just returned from the spectacular Canadian Rockies and am
                                    trying to catch up on correspondence. I'm glad there is interest in
                                    the BAC having a booth at the Book and Author Fest and I will be
                                    happy to pitch in my $25. I'd offered to bring one of our small hand
                                    presses, but I'll wait to see whether there is room for it and/or
                                    whether it's appropriate. Unfortunately my schedule for Sept. is
                                    uncertain, but I'll try to be there to help out any way I can. I
                                    think we have some flexibility within the space - tables at right
                                    angles; one in front, one behind; or display boards and racks. It
                                    will depend on who's bringing what to show and/or sell. I recall
                                    that Sally Timlin mentioned a booth for kids to make books - maybe we
                                    could be located next to that and/or work with Art from Scrap to have
                                    materials for simple projects??

                                    We probably need to have a meeting of all who are participating
                                    sometime this summer to plan our space needs and schedule and decide
                                    what kind of signage and info we need to create.