Re: Printmaking @ SBCC & Etching proofs Poster.doc

  • Lisa M
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2003
      I'd like to encourage anyone who has never tried printmaking to take
      the course offerings available at SBCC. I highly recommend both
      Pamela Zwehl-Burke and Bill Durham, who are offering Intaglio/Relief
      and Screenprinting, respectively. They are extremely knowledgeable,
      multi-talented instructors, as well as very amenable people and image
      makers par excellence. I know this because I tutored in the
      printmaking dept. for six years, five of them for Pamela.

      Bill is great guy who is easy to work with & all the students I had
      lab with thought he was very approachable and made every effort to
      make screenprinting an enriching and fun experience.

      I still consider Pamela to be my teacher and my mentor when it comes
      to printmaking and especially regarding Artists' Books. Taking her
      classes. after almost exhausting the entire Art Dept. curriculum, was
      a major revelation for me. I find printmaking to be unlike any other
      art process. It still holds mystery for me, which makes me return
      again and again to using what I've learned and exploring new
      possibilities in my own work. Pamela provided the means for me to
      find my niche, which is making books. The final project in my 1st
      etching/relief class was to make a book of 5 prints in an edition of
      5. Once my search for the binding began, I was hooked. The next
      semester I took Artist's Books with her and became a tutor.

      A file with scanned, original prints taken from a single plate in
      four successive, proofing stages are more of Pamela's work.
      It has been uploaded to the Files section of the BAC Yahoo! Groups
      website:

      The title is "Etching Proofs Poster.doc"

      Thank you for your time,
      Lisa