hello to old members from a new member

  • Nancy campbell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2003
      Hello to all and many thanks to Patrice for the kind
      welcome to this group,

      My name is Nancy; since I don't live in California I
      may be an anomaly in this group, but I hope you'll
      allow me to lurk on the horizon. I've been working
      with books for a couple of years now, learning binding
      from a Gaelic bookseller in the Scottish highlands
      (with no running water we had to use snow to wash our
      hands and mix paste), and printing at Barbarian Press
      in the much more hospitable Canandian Rockies. I've
      just moved to New York, lured by the rare luxury of
      being offered money in exchange for work in a
      letterpress shop, and I hope to stay here for a year
      before returning at last to England and setting up my
      own press and bindery.

      I joined this group because for a long while I have
      been hearing about the great books and people (and
      peaches) out west and I'm hoping to spend a month or
      two in California next autumn before returning to
      Europe, and maybe get to meet some of you and learn a
      thing or two. This group has already confirmed my
      suspicions that California is an exciting hotbed of
      bookish activity. If any one has any suggestions of
      places I should visit I'll certainly be interested!

      Best wishes,
      Nancy Campbell

    • Patrice Baldwin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2003
        Yeah, come to Santa Maria and be an apprentice in my bindery at
        Pequeño Press!

        Patrice

        http://www.mindspring.com/~patbooks/appren.html

        --- In bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com, Nancy campbell