bookbinding

  • littlewoodstudio@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
      I've been to two of the meetings at Jill's and expect to make as many as I
      can in coming months. I look forward to seeing the ideas of the other
      members as they come along. My craft - bookbinding - as in repair,
      restoration, case-binding, etc. - is relatively unglamorous, excepting as the
      finished work pleases the customer who brought me a book in wretched
      condition.
      I have offered to put on a demo some Saturday, using several books in
      various stages of reconstruction and the tools and equipment I use in doing
      the work. Because it is a relatively close-up sort of activity, the most I
      can do before a group of fifteen or so, probably, is describe what I am doing
      and hope they understand.
      As an old clock-man here in Lompoc told me about his difficulty in
      finding a trainee, "It's difficult to make a living at this, y'know." True
      in binding, as well, unless one works from morning to dark and has a steady
      stream of work coming in. But I find it a rewarding outlet for my
      "engineering" curiosities - every job presents a fresh set of problems and
      approaches - and solving those time after time is satisfying.
      There are no others in this area who do what I do - all the others who
      are doing "binding" are doing it from a different direction, or point of
      reference.
      As I said at the last meeting at Jill's, my own experience in having
      other binders share their knowledge has helped me get where I am, and I am
      anxious to share what I know with anyone who asks. I have maybe another ten
      years of work left in me, so there's no sense in hoarding what I learn.
      After seeing the San Francisco Hand Bookbinders of California group, and
      some of the Southern California Guild people who met at Kater-Craft in years
      past, I am glad that this group is under way, and hope that a lot of really
      constructive and valuable things will come out of it.

      Charles Schermerhorn
      The New Leaf Book Bindery
      Lompoc