RE: [bookartsconnection] New Member Info

  • Barbara Bartolome
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2003
      Hello Patrice and to all in the Book Arts Group,

      I'm a new member and thought I'd give you all some background info on
      myself. I was referred to the group by my friends Kathleen Baggarley
      and Gretchen Beckert. I recently attended some of the Adult Ed Book
      Arts classes at Wake Center with Kathleen.

      I'm a photographer and have done freelance for many years, now mainly
      doing event photography. Originally from Oregon, I moved to Santa
      Barbara in 1983 and love living downtown, near Santa Barbara High, as we
      have our 4th child currently attending there and our youngest child at
      Roosevelt School. I "retired" from the University's Gevirtz Graduate
      School of Education in April, where I worked to support Outreach. My
      husband, Victor, has 22 years with UCSB and will probably stay there
      until they make him leave!

      I'm in the process of opening a new store in downtown Santa Barbara that
      might be of interest to many of you. The store will be called 'Santa
      Barbara Scrapbooks' and will carry scrapbooking and paper arts supplies.
      I'll have a classroom that can accommodate 12-16 students, and I want to
      offer evening, day, and weekend classes in a wide variety of "dry" paper
      arts, such as calligraphy, collage, card making, altered books, drawing,
      pop-ups, artist's books, etc. Actually, any class that wouldn't be
      "wet", such as paper marbelling or painting, would be wonderful!

      My location is 918 Chapala Street, former home to The Pet House, near
      the corner of Carrillo and Chapala, and it's a 1750 sq. ft. space. I'm
      surrounded by the City's Lot 2 Parking Structure, and only half a block
      up from Nordstrom's on Chapala. I've remodeled the space to include a
      new handicapped accessible bathroom and I'm working to make the
      classroom space functional and comfortable. You're invited to use the
      space to work on your projects, as long as a class is not scheduled, and
      you can meet friends at the store to use the classroom together.

      My soft opening is planned for July 14th, with my grand opening
      scheduled for September 13th and 14th, 2003. My hours will be 10am-6pm
      Mon-Sat, and 12pm-5pm Sun, but will be open for classes outside of those
      hours, as well as during those hours.

      I'll be carrying a great selection of Bazzill cardstock, adhesives,
      templates, scissors, die cuts, stickers, specialty papers, etc. I have
      catalogs from many manufacturers and am open to suggestions from the
      book arts/paper arts/scrapbooking communities on what they'd like to see
      me carry in the store. I can also do special orders with the companies,
      if we can meet their minimum order requirements.

      I'm hoping to start offering classes in September and I'm looking for
      people who would like to teach their passion of collage, calligraphy,
      altered books, etc. I'm really flexible with the class schedule, and we
      can try anything at this point, so please contact me if you, or someone
      you know, might be interested. It can be a one time event, a weekly
      class for a set period of time, a monthly class, or whatever fits your
      needs and schedule. Let's talk about it!

      Stop by soon to check out the store and say hello! I'll look forward to
      meeting you! I will be attending this Saturday's BAC meeting at Crane
      School, so please feel free to come over and tell me if you're
      interested in the store. It's a big, new adventure for me and I'm
      hoping people will be excited about it!

      Best,

      Barbara

      Barbara Bartolomé, Owner
      Santa Barbara Scrapbooks
      918 Chapala Street
      Santa Barbara, CA 93101
      805-962-5099
      FAX 805-962-1109
      Cell 805-451-8646
      mailto:Barbara@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
        Welcome, Barbara. Your new store sounds fabulous. We'll meet you in
        person on Saturday!

        Patrice

        --- In bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Bartolome"