New members...

  • Patrice Baldwin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2003
      Y'all:

      I would like to welcome the few dozen new members we've acquired in
      the last few weeks.

      I hope you all will come forward and say 'hello' and tell us what
      you've been working on lately. Let us know who you are and where you
      are too.

      Cheers,

      Patrice Baldwin
      Pequeno Press
      Waterleaf Mill & Bindery
      California Workshops
    • Don Drake
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2003
        On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 05:44 PM, Patrice Baldwin wrote:

        > I hope you all will come forward and say 'hello' and tell us what
        > you've been working on lately. Let us know who you are and where you
        > are too.

        Patrice,

        Thanks for the invitation.

        I'm owner and sole employee of Dreaming Mind, a hand bindery in Castro
        Valley, CA. In the spaces between paid work I have several projects
        that might interest the group.

        First, largest and with the most pressing deadline is Japan, an edition
        of 40. This is a collection of thirty-six hand printed archivaly toned
        silver gelatin prints by Geir Jordahl (http://www.jordahlphoto.com).
        This bilingual edition will be printed letterpress and the pictures
        will be tipped into de-bossed panels in the pages. Some of the books
        will be boxed and will include a loose print for framing.

        The artist is in Paris for five months so coordination of the job has
        been a little difficult. I'm starting to sweat the October deadline
        when his Japan contacts come to town! Good new is, I've managed to get
        some kanji files that I can use so when the translations are actually
        done I'll be able to make the plates and print! Bad news is, it looks
        like I'll be doing the de-bossed panels by hand because none of my
        standing press tests have given me the depth I need while avoiding a
        little crinkle outside the corner of the panel.

        I have two individual bindings I'm working on. Both had a little
        copy-stand work that I finished this week. One is a binding from sheets
        of Henry Darger: In The Realms of the Unreal by John MacGregor. The
        other is a re-binding of Arabat by Clive Barker. These are both to be
        bound in leather with photos set into the covers.

        A bit further off in completion (and with no fixed deadline) is an
        edition of Mary Shelly's Frankenstien boxed with a binding of some
        philosophy writing that I think complements it. Text collection is
        still underway. Also, I've just started preliminary discussion with an
        illustrator about an edition of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

        Four other editions with original content are also at various stages.
        One is a conversation between two friends that spans a 3 month period.
        One is a meditation on the SETI project, the nature of intelligence and
        communication. One is a edition on the theme "New Year's resolutions"
        done for BABA (http://www.bayareabookartists.org) to share at our
        January 2004 meeting. The last is a poem and illustrations entitled
        "Star. System." It's a short riff on friendship and loneliness, classic
        happy artist stuff! Ha ha!

        Plenty to do! Guess I better get out to the studio. I even get to ship
        some paying jobs today.

        Don Drake
        Dreaming Mind

        ddrake@...
        IM: stitchbyhand
        http://www.dreamingmind.com
        http://www.hughstump.com
        (510) 537-9711
      • Kara Sjoblom
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2003
          Funny - It looks like my friend Don and I joined at
          the same time!

          Anyway, I'm Kara Sjoblom and I live in the San
          Francisco bay area. I've only been making books for
          4-5 years, but I've been a writer all my life, so it's
          fun to be able to put the two together.

          My latest project (with lots of help from friends) was
          my wedding invitation, which was a little letterpress
          printed, handbound book.

          Now I'm working on rebinding my favorite book, Relic,
          and adding illustrations and all sorts of fun stuff. I
          am estimating it will take 1-2 years to get it done.

          I look forward to hearing what is going on in book
          arts in your area.

          Regards,
          Kara Sjoblom
          http://www.karasjoblom.com